Text that has been styled with a Heading style will be included in the TOC as if it is a normal section heading.
In order to correct this, the following steps can be taken:
- In MS Word, open the Styles Window. This is found on the Home ribbon, at the far right, via the small grey arrow below the Styles section. Alternatively press Alt + Ctrl +Shift +S
- In the Styles Windows, click the New Style button
- Create a new style with a unique name such as Front Page Heading ensuring it is based on the Heading 1 style.
- Click OK to close the New Style window
- Select the text that you don’t want to appear in the table of contents, but still have a heading-type style. Once selected, apply the new style using the icon for the new style in the Styles section of the Home Ribbon.
- Then, while the text is still selected, go to the References Ribbon and select Add Text > Do Not Show in Table of Contents from the Table of contents section on the far left hand side
- Once this is done, you can refresh the table of contents by selecting it, right-click and select Update Field.
- Select the option to Update entire table and click OK.
The Table of Contents should no longer show the unrequired headings from the front page
Comments For This Page
Selecting remove from the TOC doesn't actually take my (body not headings) text out of the TOC.
On 27th September 2018
Table of content is spread between the different chapter and text. It's a mess. I follow the instructions by the letter but nothing works. What am I doing wrong.
On 22nd September 2018
On 21st September 2018
Very useful, thanks!
On 19th July 2018
Thanks a million.
On 10th July 2018
This works fine, but it also removes the heading from the document map. Is there a way of removing it from TOC, but leaving it in document map? I seem to remember I could do this in Word 2000.....
On 1st April 2018
By Daft Logic on 25th January 2018
Finally! Something that actually worked. I've been trying and looking for a solution for hours! And it is so simple!
By Lorna on 25th January 2018
Very helpful - much appreciated!
By Sara on 21st June 2017
Simple and well explained. Helped me with my Word report table of contents.
By Dot on 23rd May 2017
On 28th February 2017
By Chaya Mushka on 26th June 2016
On 26th October 2015
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: