Use search result as a distance marker?
Please paste in the list of coordinates to add to your route in the text box below:
Generate Link For This Route
Share your route on Facebook, Twitter or by email
Please copy the link from this text box:
An important feature of this distance calculator tool is that it is "as the crow flies", so traveling in real life will normally involve larger distances, but this may also help those who need to measure off-road distances.
Want to save your route? Try the Advanced Google Maps Distance Calculator
How To Use
- Zoom and drag the map to find the location of marker 1
- Click to place marker 1.
- Zoom and drag the map to find the location of marker 2.
- Click to place marker 2.
- The distance will be calculated then displayed below the map in miles or kilometers. You can change between miles or km at any time
- Add as many points as required and the distance will build up.
- You can also drag and drop markers after they have been put on the map
- To share your route and distance calculation use the option [Generate Link For This Route]. You can then copy the link generated and send this via Twitter or Facebook.
All distances are estimations so Daft Logic does not accept any responsibility that may arise when the value reported is incorrect.
You can move the markers after they have been positioned so you can modify you route on the fly and see how the distance will be affected.
- Click [Clear Last] to undo the last marker placed
- Click [Zoom To Fit] to zoom the map around all markers
- Click [Clear Map] to erase all markers and start again
- Use the Quick Find text box to quickly relocate the map
- You can choose between miles and kilometers (km) for the Total Distance readout
- Click [Show Elevation] to get a chart showing the elevation of your route
How it Works
Clearly you, the user inputs two 'points' that are used to calculate the distance. Calculating the "As the Crow Flies" distance is a matter of using Great Circle formula. Then the main problem is converting the Google Map unit to miles and kilometers.
The map will also automatically save your route in your temporary internet cookies so that you can return and see the route as you last left it. If you ever need to start from scratch then use the [Clear Map] button.
Map showing the Mary Peters Track in South Belfast. The reading shows 0.394km which is clearly a reasonable measurement for an athletics track.
Map showing the estimated distance between New York and Paris. All references that can be found suggest that this is an accurate measurement.
Map showing the Seven Mile Straight in County Antrim, Northern Ireland. This shows a reading of 6.910 miles.
Map showing the distance between Belfast and Dublin. As far as I can see this is an accurate estimate (if there is such a thing). This trip would be approximately 100 miles by road so the proverbial crow would have less distance to travel.
Further Uses and Ideas
- Remember auto-pan setting between sessions
- Show difference in elevation between markers
- Export a list of all waypoints and show the distance between each
|Version||Date||Description of Updates|
Stop post back between clicks
Calculate Mid Point
Zoom to fit feature
More than one marker as running total
Move to API v2
Great Circle display and distance calculation
Option to resize map height
|3.1||25/09/2007||Added print map option|
|3.2||01/10/2007||Added Quick Find|
Added Scroll Wheel Zoom in and out
Complete conversion to API v2
Better Zoom to Fit Functionality
Added crosshairs curser
Removed Scroll Wheel Zoom in and out
Added marker drag and drop functionality
Removed Print Option (Ctrl+Print Screen works better)
|4.2||10/06/2008||Added Nautical Miles option|
|4.3||20/10/2008||Added drop down map type option|
|4.4||17/12/2008||Map saves last position for when you next visit|
|4.5||04/01/2009||Fixed autopan issue when map is resized|
Removed Quick Find
Added Google Search bar
Brought Back Quick Find!
Removed Google Search bar!
Added Route Autosave via cookies
Added Marker tooltip showing marker id and lat/lng
Added Feet measurement
Added Metres measurement
Google Search can now be enabled by a check box
More settings are now saved such as toggle markers, Google Search and Map Type
Google Search bar at bottom left is not yet available. sorry!
Removed show mid point button
Uses new cookie so any previous systems/settings on your machine will be erased! sorry!
Please report any issues or bugs!
|5.1||02/08/2010||Fixed autopan issue when map is resized|
|5.2||09/08/2010||Updated Quick Find. Now places marker at location|
Updated Quick Find. Now adds a distance marker upon finding a result unless the user opt's out of this
Updated Quick Find. Now allows enter/return to be hit to cause the search. No need to click the Search button
Updated Quick Find. Now pre-selects text after a search is complete to allow rapid input of multiple locations
Updated Quick Find. If you perform an unattached search (not a distance marker), the search result marker can be easily removed from the map by clicking on that marker
|5.4||05/02/2012||Updated Quick Find. Now zooms in to find the location|
|5.5||14/02/2012||Fixed issue where a marker that had been repositioned retained its original lat/lng in the text that appears during hover over|
|5.6||15/02/2012||Added new upload coordinates function|
|5.7||10/11/2013||Removed Google Local Search API (Deprecated)|
|5.8||22/01/2014||New option added to allow you to share your distance calculator route on Twitter, Facebook or email|
|5.9||25/01/2014||New option added to show the elevation of your route on a bar chart|
|5.10||18/11/2015||Implemented a mouseover event so when you hover over the elevation chart, a marker on the map highlights the location|
|5.11||30/12/2015||Its now possible add a marker to the route midway along the route. You can also delete a marker by right clicking on the dot below the marker|
|5.12||04/04/2016||Updates to print formatting|
|5.13||09/06/2016||Added yards units of distance measurement|
|5.14||10/01/2017||The marker will display the distance up to that leg on the route when you hover over it|
|5.15||23/02/2017||New option to upload GPX files|
|5.16||21/09/2017||Elevation units changed to feet|
|5.17||21/02/2018||Location displayed when you hover over a marker now has fewer decimal places|
|5.18||11/08/2018||Google Maps search removed due to costs. Replaced with custom search tool|
|6.0||1st February 2021||Implemented Leaflet Maps|
|6.1||5th February 2021||Bug Fix : Clicking on an existing marker to add to the route did not work and also caused the tool to stop functioning
Bug Fix : Autopan did not work initially until swicthed off and on.
|6.2||12th February 2021||New option : Edit Squares On/Off|
Comments For This Page
I have used your site for many years and have always loved it! the new updates are a step backward. My farm is now obscured with cloud cover and the resolution is far from what it once was. I will be looking for a new site to use now. My zip code is 46392.By DavidD on 23rd February 2021
Hi Robert, unfortunately not. The old map interface came at a significant cost to us that was not feasible to maintain going forward. It is understood the loss of high resolution is a disappointment.By Daft Logic on 16th February 2021
Hi Denzil, we are glad to hear you have been using this free tool for many years. We have had to move to a new mapping interface for costs reasons and to allow us to continue to provide this tool for free. It seems you are describing 3 features:
I cannot place markers at start/end points - not sure that was possible before?
lat/long - not sure what this means?
distance - not sure what this means?
By Daft Logic on 16th February 2021
I have used this site for many years and am disappointed with recent changes. I cannot place markers at start/end points, lat/long and distance. is it possible to revert to the previous more useful program?By denzil on 15th February 2021
In the old map many urban areas switched from satellite to aerial photography on very close-in zooms. That feature seems to be gone now. Was the main reason I used this site vs Google Earth, etc...
Any chance of it coming back?
By Robert on 14th February 2021
Like the new look, but miss being able to search for elevations.On 6th February 2021
Cleared cookies and browser history now markers are permitted. Strange.By Paul D on 6th February 2021
Hi, Using Linux Mint 19.1 32 bit with Firefox 79. No script blockers or add blockers active.
Cannot place markers or any points on the map.
New map looks nice.By Paul Dearing on 6th February 2021
Gillertron, more updates:
1) Autopan issue is now fixed
2) "The segment in-between two markers" is backBy Daft Logic on 5th February 2021
Firefox56, can you try a full page reload. Alternatively clear temporary internet files and try again. if it still doesn't work, can you confirm your platform and browser? ThanksBy Daft Logic on 5th February 2021
Gillertron, thanks for the feedback. To address your comments:
1) The precision of output has been reduced from 2 DP's to 1. Displaying more than 2 DP's was somewhat misleading. It gave the impression that the accuracy was higher than it was. Outputting 1 DP better reflects the accuracy of the estimated distance output. Anymore is misleading as there are other factors that introduce a margin of error. For example this tool has no consideration for elevation variation over the route.
2) Agreed. This a bug. A fix has been appliedBy Daft Logic on 5th February 2021
Hal (9K), we are taken aback by your foul language. For that reason you will not be getting a response.By Daft Logic on 5th February 2021
Ever since you implemented Leaflet maps, I cannot set or see any markers anymore, and consequently can't measure anything.By Firefox56 on 5th February 2021
Additional things I noticed not working w/ recent update...
1. You have to toggle auto pan on/off again to get it to work the first time.
2. You can no longer click the segment in-between two markers to create a new markerBy Gillertron on 4th February 2021
6.0 1st February 2021 Implemented Leaflet Maps < Recent update broke map functionality.
On Chrome incognito / safari web browser it works alright... I few things I noticed:
1. Distance (for miles) only tracks to the 1oth of the decimal -- 0.1, 0.2, etc... no longer 0.25, 26, etc...
2. Clicking on an already placed marker doesn't worked, AND it breaks the tool. Once you click on the already placed marker you can no longer place additional marker.
Please fix, or revert to previous version. This tool is super, super awesome - hate to see it broken!By Gillertron on 4th February 2021
Whats happened? Wen I click to select the start of the distance I want to measure it doesnt place a marker. I can no longer measure distance?On 3rd February 2021
How do I get the map prior to 2/1/2021??? This was a BAD idea!On 2nd February 2021
Questions and observations:
1. What happened to the little circle between waypoints, that allowed the addition of another waypoint between the two?
2. I recall the ability to click on a waypoint and having the option of deleting it. It's possible I'm thinking of a different site or app, but I don't think so. Whatever happened to that?
3. So far, I've had to reload this page 3x because it stopped responding. Altho, it seems to be working okay now.
4. You ****** with it and now it's ****** up. Thanks. Looks like I'll be searching for another site to use.By Hal (9K) on 2nd February 2021
v niceBy joe on 28th January 2021
Would love to allow ads for your site. You should earn for your efforts. Sadly, sticking an ad between the map and the distance counter, renders this map useless to me. move the ad to above the map or below the distance readout and we are gold.By Michael on 14th November 2020
Super great tool for calculating a running distance.On 5th November 2020
What is the distance between -9 and 5 on a number line? *
On 24th August 2020
I am grateful that this distance calculator exists. I enjoy mapping out new routes for my exercise routine. Thank you for creating it and for the upkeep!By Zoe Morosini on 4th August 2020
Very easy and useful tool, thanks.By godfrey b. on 25th July 2020
Use to love this tool until you added all the commercial bisiness locations. Now it is almost impossible to make this work anymore using markers with out clicking on a business, then when you try to close the business pop up it lays another toggle marker where you don%u2019t need one. News flash for you, NO ONE uses this app to search for a place to eat lunch or buy flowers. They use it to measure distances mainly for outdoor pursuits!By Derek on 3rd July 2020
Distance between middle and lower musqjuodiok harbor
On 22nd June 2020
I've been using this tool to gauge point-to-point links for Wi-Fi gear for the last decade. Has always been spot-on for hundreds of links and thousands of satisfied customers. If you're ever in the Coachella Valley and need gigabit Wi-Fi, let me know and I would be glad to hook you up!By Bobby White on 13th May 2020
thanks! this is a super-helpful tool.On 12th April 2020
why just why i wanted to do some easy calculations but this turned into a fiasco of different thingOn 31st March 2020
i have a fitbitBy chad champion on 15th March 2020
30 out of 2177 comments shown. See all comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: