Google Maps Distance Calculator
Search For Location :
Use search result as a distance marker? Yes No
|Total Distance||Miles km Nautical Miles Metres Feet||Autopan ?|
Please paste in the list of coordinates to add to your route in the text box below:
You can use the Google Maps Distance Calculator to find out the distance between two or more points anywhere on the earth. In other words, the distance between A and B. Click once on the map to place the first marker and then click again to position the second marker. The mileage between the points will then be displayed. You can also build up a series of locations to find a total distance.
An important feature of this tool is that is "as the crow flies", so traveling in real life will normally involve larger distances, but this may also help those who need to measure off-road distances.
Want to save your route? Try the Advanced Google Maps Distance Calculator
How To Use
- Zoom and drag the map to find the location of marker 1
- Click to place marker 1.
- Zoom and drag the map to find the location of marker 2.
- Click to place marker 2.
- The distance will be displayed below the map in miles or kilometers. You can change between miles or km at any time.
- Add as many points as required and the distance will build up.
- You can also drag and drop markers after they have been put on the map
All distances are estimations so Daft Logic does not accept any responsibility that may arise when the value reported is incorrect.
You can move the markers after they have been positioned so you can modify you route on the fly and see how the distance will be effected.
- Click [Clear Last] to undo the last marker placed
- Click [Zoom To Fit] to zoom the map around all markers
- Click [Clear Map] to erase all markers and start again
- Use the Quick Find text box to quickly relocate the map
- You can choose between miles and kilometers (km) for the Total Distance readout
How it Works
Clearly you, the user inputs two 'points' that are used to calculate the distance. Calculating the "As the Crow Flies" distance is a matter of using Great Circle formula. Then the main problem is converting the Google Map unit to miles and kilometers.
The map will also automatically save your route in your temporary internet cookies so that you can return and see the route as you last left it. If you ever need to start from scratch then use the [Clear Map] button.
Map showing the Mary Peters Track in South Belfast. The reading shows 0.394km which is clearly a reasonable measurement for an athletics track.
Map showing the estimated distance between New York and Paris. All references that can be found suggest that this is an accurate measurement.
Map showing the Seven Mile Straight in County Antrim, Northern Ireland. This shows a reading of 6.910 miles.
Map showing the distance between Belfast and Dublin. As far as I can see this is an accurate estimate (if there is such a thing). This trip would be approximately 100 miles by road so the proverbial crow would have less distance to travel.
Further Uses and Ideas
- Show difference in altitude between markers
Version 1 (29/12/2005) - The Beginning
- Basic Distance Calculation
Version 2 (19/01/2006)
- Stop post back between clicks
- Calculate Mid Point
- Zoom to fit feature
- More than one marker as running total
Version 3 (15/06/2007)
- Move to API v2
- Great Circle display and distance calculation
- Option to resize map height
Version 3.1 (25/09/2007)
- Added print map option
Version 3.2 (01/10/2007)
- Added Quick Find
Version 4 (20/01/2008)
- Added Scroll Wheel Zoom in and out
- Complete conversion to API v2
- Better Zoom to Fit Functionality
- Added crosshairs curser
Version 4.1 (21/02/2008)
- Removed Scroll Wheel Zoom in and out
- Added marker drag and drop functionality
- Removed Print Option (Ctrl+Print Screen works better)
Version 4.2 (10/06/2008)
- Added Nautical Miles option
Version 4.3 (20/10/2008)
- Added drop down map type option
Version 4.4 (17/12/2008)
- Map saves last position for when you next visit
Version 4.5 (04/01/2009)
- Fixed autopan issue when map is resized
Version 4.6 (28/09/2009)
- Removed Quick Find
- Added Google Search bar
Version 4.7 (06/10/2009)
- Brought Back Quick Find!
- Removed Google Search bar!
- Added Route Autosave via cookies
- Added Marker tooltip showing marker id and lat/lng
- Added Feet measurement
- Added Metres measurement
Version 4.8 (08/10/2009)
- Google Search can now be enabled by a check box
- More settings are now saved such as toggle markers, Google Search and Map Type
Version 5.0 (31/07/2010)
- Google Search bar at bottom left is not yet available. sorry!
- Removed show mid point button
- Uses new cookie so any previous systems/settings on your machine will be erased! sorry!
- Please report any issues or bugs!
Version 5.1 (02/08/2010)
- Added [Find My Location For Me] Button
Version 5.2 (09/08/2010)
- Updated Quick Find. Now places marker at location.
Version 5.3 (12/08/2010)
- Updated Quick Find. Now adds a distance marker upon finding a result unless the user opt's out of this.
- Updated Quick Find. Now allows enter/return to be hit to cause the search. No need to click the Search button.
- Updated Quick Find. Now pre-selects text after a search is complete to allow rapid input of multiple locations.
- Updated Quick Find. If you perform an unattached search (not a distance marker), the search result marker can be easily removed from the map by clicking on that marker
Version 5.4 (05/02/2012)
- Updated Quick Find. Now zooms in to find the location
Version 5.4 (14/02/2012)
- Fixed issue where a marker that had been repositioned retained its original lat/lng in the text that appears during hover over
Version 5.5 (15/02/2012)
- Added new upload coordinates function
Version 5.6 (10/11/2013) - You Are Here
- Removed Google Local Search API (Deprecated)
Previous Comments For This Page
johons boat 921 mile
By johns boat on 25/11/2013
Are you thinking about adding the feature of custom maps for the future?
i want to know the km.of hapur to manipur
Averaging Speed Camera Distance Southbound Hume Freeway Victoria Australia,between Amaroo Rd and Oherns Rd: The surveyed distance for the shortest practical path in 2009 is 7747m and so far I have only been able to measure it as 7790m using about 100 points.
By Justice Scout on 21/11/2013
Hi, if you wish to save routes, please use the Advanced Google Maps Distance Calculator.
By Daft Logic on 18/11/2013
Copying Paul Cooper's comment because it's what I also wanted to say: A great resource, thank you. Others have mentioned this but seconding here... would be great to be able to save mapped routes. Could this be a feature included in future updates and releases?
Great to map out open water swimming distance. Good work!
A great resource, thank you. Others have mentioned this but seconding here... would be great to be able to save mapped routes. Could this be a feature included in future updates and releases?
By Paul Cooper on 14/11/2013
Daft logic is right! Whitchurch to Malvern in Worcestershire is a lot less than 7407 miles!!! Nor is Malvern in the middle of the Atlantic!
Really good, bookmarked for when ever needed in the future!
worked well for me!
By jojo on 04/11/2013
Great for fishing ...finding distances shame it hasn't got yards measurements Excellent tool Thank you
Hi On 31/10/2013, can you let us know what you were measuring and how you believe the reported distance was incorrect? Also, did you use the option to convert to different units in order to convert to different units?
By Daft Logic on 31/10/2013
This is the worst I've every seen. The numbers for meters come back 14787432.803, which cannot be correct. All the figures make no sense at all and cannot be converted. This blows
Need road percent grade program because it takes a long time to write down altitude points in one program then write down distance in another program then use calculator program to calculate percent grade :
By Palomar bob on 23/10/2013
Excellent for calculating distances by sea.
By Camilla on 19/10/2013
On 13/10/2013, please try the Advanced Google Maps Distance Calculator.
By Daft Logic on 15/10/2013
Would be nice if, after the route has been plotted, if there were a way to save it so that it can be sent to others to see.
Galing talaga ng Google
No aparecen los municios de ciudad Habana
By kok hou on 07/10/2013
Get project i am using to work out running distances in my local area would be fantastic as a phone app
This map calculates as the crow flies. What if I have a Daft Crow, and when I let him go he refuses to fly the shortest route and he goes in the opposite direction. How far will he fly to get to the second point? I want to know the shortest and the farthest distance between two points on the globe. Cheers!
By Steve Pierce on 03/10/2013
Amazing. Please create an APP for this on Iphone. Also, if possible, add which airlines fly to the selected city from the original point. I fly roughly 80,000-120,000 miles annual
On 24/09/2013, please have a look at Advanced Distance Calculator.
By Daft Logic on 24/09/2013
Is there an option to create several routes at one go and save it ? pl help.
Running distances. boom
I use this to measure building dimensions. Does Draft Logic correct for the angled view Google Maps goes into when you zoom in close?
By John G. on 20/09/2013
I use this for measuring my run distances, it's great.
By Fred on 16/09/2013
Nice job very handy! firstname.lastname@example.org
By Les on 15/09/2013
30 out of 1639 comments shown. See all comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: