Google Maps Distance Calculator
Search For Location :
Use search result as a distance marker? Yes No
|Total Distance||Miles km Nautical Miles Metres Feet||Autopan ?|
Please paste in the list of coordinates to add to your route in the text box below:
You can use the Google Maps Distance Calculator to find out the distance between two or more points anywhere on the earth. In other words, the distance between A and B. Click once on the map to place the first marker and then click again to position the second marker. The mileage between the points will then be displayed. You can also build up a series of locations to find a total distance.
An important feature of this tool is that is "as the crow flies", so traveling in real life will normally involve larger distances, but this may also help those who need to measure off-road distances.
Want to save your route? Try the Advanced Google Maps Distance Calculator
How To Use
- Zoom and drag the map to find the location of marker 1
- Click to place marker 1.
- Zoom and drag the map to find the location of marker 2.
- Click to place marker 2.
- The distance will be displayed below the map in miles or kilometers. You can change between miles or km at any time.
- Add as many points as required and the distance will build up.
- You can also drag and drop markers after they have been put on the map
All distances are estimations so Daft Logic does not accept any responsibility that may arise when the value reported is incorrect.
You can move the markers after they have been positioned so you can modify you route on the fly and see how the distance will be effected.
- Click [Clear Last] to undo the last marker placed
- Click [Zoom To Fit] to zoom the map around all markers
- Click [Clear Map] to erase all markers and start again
- Use the Quick Find text box to quickly relocate the map
- You can choose between miles and kilometers (km) for the Total Distance readout
How it Works
Clearly you, the user inputs two 'points' that are used to calculate the distance. Calculating the "As the Crow Flies" distance is a matter of using Great Circle formula. Then the main problem is converting the Google Map unit to miles and kilometers.
The map will also automatically save your route in your temporary internet cookies so that you can return and see the route as you last left it. If you ever need to start from scratch then use the [Clear Map] button.
Map showing the Mary Peters Track in South Belfast. The reading shows 0.394km which is clearly a reasonable measurement for an athletics track.
Map showing the estimated distance between New York and Paris. All references that can be found suggest that this is an accurate measurement.
Map showing the Seven Mile Straight in County Antrim, Northern Ireland. This shows a reading of 6.910 miles.
Map showing the distance between Belfast and Dublin. As far as I can see this is an accurate estimate (if there is such a thing). This trip would be approximately 100 miles by road so the proverbial crow would have less distance to travel.
Further Uses and Ideas
- Show difference in altitude between markers
Version 1 (29/12/2005) - The Beginning
- Basic Distance Calculation
Version 2 (19/01/2006)
- Stop post back between clicks
- Calculate Mid Point
- Zoom to fit feature
- More than one marker as running total
Version 3 (15/06/2007)
- Move to API v2
- Great Circle display and distance calculation
- Option to resize map height
Version 3.1 (25/09/2007)
- Added print map option
Version 3.2 (01/10/2007)
- Added Quick Find
Version 4 (20/01/2008)
- Added Scroll Wheel Zoom in and out
- Complete conversion to API v2
- Better Zoom to Fit Functionality
- Added crosshairs curser
Version 4.1 (21/02/2008)
- Removed Scroll Wheel Zoom in and out
- Added marker drag and drop functionality
- Removed Print Option (Ctrl+Print Screen works better)
Version 4.2 (10/06/2008)
- Added Nautical Miles option
Version 4.3 (20/10/2008)
- Added drop down map type option
Version 4.4 (17/12/2008)
- Map saves last position for when you next visit
Version 4.5 (04/01/2009)
- Fixed autopan issue when map is resized
Version 4.6 (28/09/2009)
- Removed Quick Find
- Added Google Search bar
Version 4.7 (06/10/2009)
- Brought Back Quick Find!
- Removed Google Search bar!
- Added Route Autosave via cookies
- Added Marker tooltip showing marker id and lat/lng
- Added Feet measurement
- Added Metres measurement
Version 4.8 (08/10/2009)
- Google Search can now be enabled by a check box
- More settings are now saved such as toggle markers, Google Search and Map Type
Version 5.0 (31/07/2010)
- Google Search bar at bottom left is not yet available. sorry!
- Removed show mid point button
- Uses new cookie so any previous systems/settings on your machine will be erased! sorry!
- Please report any issues or bugs!
Version 5.1 (02/08/2010)
- Added [Find My Location For Me] Button
Version 5.2 (09/08/2010)
- Updated Quick Find. Now places marker at location.
Version 5.3 (12/08/2010)
- Updated Quick Find. Now adds a distance marker upon finding a result unless the user opt's out of this.
- Updated Quick Find. Now allows enter/return to be hit to cause the search. No need to click the Search button.
- Updated Quick Find. Now pre-selects text after a search is complete to allow rapid input of multiple locations.
- Updated Quick Find. If you perform an unattached search (not a distance marker), the search result marker can be easily removed from the map by clicking on that marker
Version 5.4 (05/02/2012)
- Updated Quick Find. Now zooms in to find the location
Version 5.4 (14/02/2012)
- Fixed issue where a marker that had been repositioned retained its original lat/lng in the text that appears during hover over
Version 5.5 (15/02/2012) - You Are Here
- Added new upload coordinates function
Previous Comments For This Page
I use to trace the route of my runs and calculate the distance.Very good!!! #NeverStopRunning #MG #BrazilAthlete
By The Intersect on 17/05/2013
There is an error in Anza, CA Riverside County. If you type in the street Haupert, nothing is found. If you type in Hupert (which is incorrect) it shows the street correctly as Haupert on the map.
By kw on 16/05/2013
Not perfect but very close to, would like to see this in an app form.
By Tj on 16/05/2013
This tool is exactly what I needed to work out running routes for my army training. Thanks so much, you've really helped me out
By Aw on 15/05/2013
Es bueno, sin embargo no es lo que busco, la distancia te la da en una linea recta y un recorrido en un vehiculo no lo realizas asi por lo cual hay diferencias
By Armando on 10/04/2013
Why there is over two kilometer difference to http://williams.best.vwh.net/gccalc.htm when I test distance from Tornio to Paris? Tornio latlon: 65.8444927 24.152725499999974 and Paris latlon: 48.856614 2.3522219000000177. Distance from here 2274041.329 m and from williams 2276292.140 m.
By Error on 08/04/2013
Nice! Now I know how many miles I cycled today.
By Jim on 01/04/2013
Thanks it helped in cost calculation for irrigation system design for my fields.
Awesome Nautical mile plotter for my trips up and down the Chesapeake!! Thank you.
By Rcorbin on 28/03/2013
great tool, made my realize my pedometer is a POS and that I walk faster and farther than I thought!
By max from canada on 17/03/2013
Awesome tool for measuring distance from my house to the closest clear 4G tower for WiMax service.
By Big Joe on 12/03/2013
By Gandy Candy on 12/03/2013
It's really good. Thanks's a lot
where are the coordinates ? thanks
By bowman on 08/03/2013
Where is the application
Great for approximating wireless bridges. Google Earth has this too bad the web based maps didn't get it. Great job on this.
By Bill F on 08/03/2013
By Super Rafa on 04/03/2013
love it, useful in the time of most need
very very useful tool
By Piyush Vora on 03/03/2013
awesome to use. Just used it to plan a huge hiking trip. great stuff!
By Lowey on 15/02/2013
Very useful. Thanks. It also would be useful if I could draw a circle of a specified radius. Steve
very good mapping tool im going on a drive around tasmainia soon worked out it is going to be over 1170km round trip
By ninemill on 11/02/2013
Good for adjusting directional antena.
Thanks for your work. Your measuring service is very useful and works very well.
By Balaji N on 07/02/2013
Awesome site good job google and daft logic...
By Ariel on 07/02/2013
I would also like to print maps but there is no print button
I think it's great but there's app ???
By Dagoberto Gonzalez on 26/01/2013
Thanks for creating this! You saved me in a jam.
By Ramón on 24/01/2013
30 out of 1561 comments shown. See all comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: