Google Maps Area Calculator Tool
Search For Location :
Add a location manually (also accepts [latitude,longitude])
Output : Current Area
This tool allows you to use Google Maps to define an area and then find out the measurement of the enclosed area. You are also able to save your areas for use later on. Click on the map to start drawing an area.
How to Use
- Click multiple times around the map to define an area
- The calculated area will then be displayed below the map
- Click [Delete Last Point] to remove the last point clicked
- Click [Clear All Points] to remove all areas drawn
- Click [Generate KML] to generate a KML file representing the last area drawn. Once you click this option, after a short delay, a hyperlink "Download KML File Here" will appear. From this link, you can download your KML file
- Click [Create New Area] to start drawing anew area whilst keeping any existing areas on-screen
- You can adjust the map size by clicking Small, Medium, Large or Full Screen
Login to Save and Load Maps
You can create an account for free from which you can save and load saved areas unquiet to you. Click [Create Free Account] to create a new, free account. Once you confirm your email, you will be able to save and load maps while logged in.
Further Uses and Ideas
- Enable clicking inside the area
- Allow markers to be toggled on and off
- Allow upload a KML file and calculate any areas of polygons inside
- Version 1 (14/11/2007)
- Version 2 (25/03/2008) - Draggable markers added
- Version 2.1 (16/10/2008) - Added Terrain map type
- Version 2.2 (14/12/2009) - Added quick find search tool
- Version 2.3 (21/03/2009) - Added acres output
- Version 2.4 (04/11/2009) - Increased maximum size for the Quick Find option
- Version 2.5 (28/01/2010) - Added square nautical miles output. Rounded off all output to 2 decimal places.
- Version 2.6 (22/02/2010) - Added square feet output.
- Version 2.7 (12/10/2010) - New option to input points manually by lat/lng pairs.
- Version 3 (01/12/2010) - Implemented Google Maps API V3
- Version 3.1 (19/12/2010) - Added option to export to KML (Google Earth)
- Version 3.2 (17/02/2011) - Added option to draw more than one area in the same session
- Version 3.3 (07/06/2011) - Fixed Issue with last polyline not showing on KML output
- Version 4 (08/09/2011) - Ability to save areas under user login
- Version 4.1 (14/12/2011) - Added hectares output
- Version 4.2 (22/12/2011) - Added full screen option
- Version 4.3 (05/02/2012) - Improved Search Facility
- Version 5 (12/11/2012) - Added perimeter output
- Version 6 (05/01/2013)
- Default map is now larger
- Download KML File Here link has been moved
- Added Zoom to Fit button
- Fixed bug with perimeter calculation
Previous Comments For This Page
A fantastic tool. Very useful.
measurement on sides are not reflecting which is must to ensure which area is being calculated
Brilliant, very useful tool! The kml export option is excellent! Many thanks Daft Logic!
By Dimitris G on 02/12/2013
GOSTEI MUITO DESTA PÁGINA, POIS CONSIGO MEDIR UMA ÁREA À DISTANCIA COM MUITA PRECISÃO.
By RONAN on 28/11/2013
excellant tool, for 95% accurate tool for basis concept and judgement
By Ramesh Kumar Rojasara on 26/11/2013
excellent tool. Fairly accurate.
By Lal on 26/11/2013
excellent working tool, if we can now get it to print...?
By Organic Farmer on 23/11/2013
By Emily on 18/11/2013
Hey, thanks a lot for responding to my false perimeter 'bug' alert, you're absolutely correct. As soon as the third point is added, the perimeter shows the correct distance. Your point about outward and inward distance is absolutely correct. Did not realize this earlier. Thanks a lot and God bless! :D
By Firoze on 18/11/2013
Used this for Maths, really good.
By Kieran on 17/11/2013
Thank you draft logic
241/1 & 241/2 total area 128 acre
By Captain Prashant on 15/11/2013
Excelent tool! Thanks!!!
By Andre on 13/11/2013
Very Useful, Thanks a lot.
By Soumyajeet on 12/11/2013
can you have a print version in the area calculator?
for the Developers of this 2nd party software, THUMBS UP!! Cheers! Thanks very much !
By artisticdenz7 on 12/11/2013
this is awesome
By vonsposen on 10/11/2013
Very helpful & quite user friendly! Thank you!
Hard to use on a touch pad
sehr gutes Tool
By Thomas on 07/11/2013
Cool tool, thanks!
By Goran on 06/11/2013
Abg, please try deleting your temporary internet files then load the page again.
By Daft Logic on 04/11/2013
NOT Working. no area is generated!!!?????
By Abg on 04/11/2013
Fantástico!! Uma Ferramenta muito útil! Obrigado
By Tiago Rodrigues on 02/11/2013
By Rotta.stdhakar on 01/11/2013
This site is a very helpful tool. It helps me when I am looking for a place and I am driving. I am glad you do not charge for this service. If you do charge for this service ever I will never use it again.
By Ron Rolling Ronny Camargo on 28/10/2013
this will solve my answers if i could get it to work!! I have hilighted an area in pink it then says NaN for all measurements under outputs.. excuse my lack of tech-savviness.. also can I open the folder in excel? Thanks in advance!
By anna-charlotte on 27/10/2013
30 out of 716 comments shown. See all comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: