Google Maps Area Calculator Tool
Search For Location :
Add a location manually (also accepts [latitude,longitude])
Output : Current Area
This tool allows you to use Google Maps to define an area and then find out the measurement of the enclosed area. You are also able to save your areas for use later on. Click on the map to start drawing an area.
How to Use
- Click multiple times around the map to define an area
- The calculated area will then be displayed below the map
- Click [Delete Last Point] to remove the last point clicked
- Click [Clear All Points] to remove all areas drawn
- Click [Generate KML] to generate a KML file representing the last area drawn. Once you click this option, after a short delay, a hyperlink "Download KML File Here" will appear. From this link, you can download your KML file
- Click [Create New Area] to start drawing anew area whilst keeping any existing areas on-screen
- You can adjust the map size by clicking Small, Medium, Large or Full Screen
Login to Save and Load Maps
You can create an account for free from which you can save and load saved areas unquiet to you. Click [Create Free Account] to create a new, free account. Once you confirm your email, you will be able to save and load maps while logged in.
Further Uses and Ideas
- Enable clicking inside the area
- Allow markers to be toggled on and off
- Allow upload a KML file and calculate any areas of polygons inside
- Version 1 (14/11/2007)
- Version 2 (25/03/2008) - Draggable markers added
- Version 2.1 (16/10/2008) - Added Terrain map type
- Version 2.2 (14/12/2009) - Added quick find search tool
- Version 2.3 (21/03/2009) - Added acres output
- Version 2.4 (04/11/2009) - Increased maximum size for the Quick Find option
- Version 2.5 (28/01/2010) - Added square nautical miles output. Rounded off all output to 2 decimal places.
- Version 2.6 (22/02/2010) - Added square feet output.
- Version 2.7 (12/10/2010) - New option to input points manually by lat/lng pairs.
- Version 3 (01/12/2010) - Implemented Google Maps API V3
- Version 3.1 (19/12/2010) - Added option to export to KML (Google Earth)
- Version 3.2 (17/02/2011) - Added option to draw more than one area in the same session
- Version 3.3 (07/06/2011) - Fixed Issue with last polyline not showing on KML output
- Version 4 (08/09/2011) - Ability to save areas under user login
- Version 4.1 (14/12/2011) - Added hectares output
- Version 4.2 (22/12/2011) - Added full screen option
- Version 4.3 (05/02/2012) - Improved Search Facility
- Version 5 (12/11/2012) - Added perimeter output
- Version 6 (05/01/2013)
- Default map is now larger
- Download KML File Here link has been moved
- Added Zoom to Fit button
- Fixed bug with perimeter calculation
Previous Comments For This Page
Plot just after Institute
By New_Plot on 19/04/2014
Love the tool, wish you cud add some keyboard shortcuts for deleting last point etc... or perhaps bring the control nearer to the map
By Ernisky on 19/04/2014
Thanks a lot ! That's great ! Regards from Bulgaria !!!:)
By Phlamey on 19/04/2014
By Cris on 17/04/2014
I just wanted to say thank you for creating this tool. It is exceptionally useful and has helped me submit an important report for a course. Thanks
Porque ao passar email, o email vai mas não aparece nada, não envia o conteúdo? O que fazer para enviar corretamente?
By Nilso on 16/04/2014
Hi, the area calculator is not used for measuring distance between points. It does have a perimeter output which is twice the distance between 2 points when there are 2 points
By Daft Logic on 15/04/2014
Great tool - I believe that the measurement of a line is "doubled" in the "current perimeter" calculation. For example, measuring a tennis court provides the correct area and perimeter, however if I measure the length (should measure about 78 ft, the resulting measurement is about 156.
By Ethan on 15/04/2014
Muito bom este programa,praticamente preciso.
This is a fantastic tool, soooo helpful. One addition i would love would be the ability to remove areas from inside an area.
By Mark - Bristol, UK on 15/04/2014
Great tool, helped me figure out how much product I needed for weed control and feed for my lawn, easy too! Thanks a lot!
By Roger on 07/04/2014
thank you so much.I find it very helpful. from Iran
By AMIRI on 05/04/2014
too helpful tool for land area calculation
By alex on 05/04/2014
R/sir i have seen you r programme this is nice for area calculation. thanks Zahin Khan from India
By Zahin Khan on 01/04/2014
THANK YOU VERY MUCH, FROM BRAZIL
By EDUARDO MACEDO on 31/03/2014
This is a really nece tool, it help me a lot to meassure areas regarding to my job. tks a lot.
By Reinaldo Wagner Brazil. on 31/03/2014
Is it possible to access winter map? Tree cover is a problem.
Great tool for what I need to do. However, when printing, it's not what I see on the screen and I have to align polygon to upper left of screen to print. Also it splits pictures on printout. Would be nice to have a print button to add a title and to print map and measurements on single page (portrait or landscape).
By Joe on 27/03/2014
Excelente herramienta, gracias!
By Carlos on 27/03/2014
Hi i would like to ask if this tool is available for web development?
By jaudee on 25/03/2014
By Venky on 23/03/2014
Hi, can you provide some examples of the inaccuracy please?
By Daft Logic on 22/03/2014
I think it's not entirely accurate. I tried it on some soccer fields, and it's way off.
By gopal on 20/03/2014
Would be great if uploading a KML file would be supported. Great tool otherwise!
Really helpful guide for measuring areas to search for our metal detecting group. Well done to whoever put this together.
By UK Detecting Rallies on 20/03/2014
proposed farm location
Shahid, this is not possible to do.
By Daft Logic on 18/03/2014
how can i upload a KML file ?
By Shahid on 17/03/2014
30 out of 815 comments shown. See all comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: