Google Maps Area Calculator Tool
Search For Location :
Add a location manually (also accepts [latitude,longitude])
Output : Current Area
This tool allows you to use Google Maps to define an area and then find out the measurement of the enclosed area. You are also able to save your areas for use later on. Click on the map to start drawing an area.
How to Use
- Click multiple times around the map to define an area
- The calculated area will then be displayed below the map
- Click [Delete Last Point] to remove the last point clicked
- Click [Clear All Points] to remove all areas drawn
- Click [Generate KML] to generate a KML file representing the last area drawn. Once you click this option, after a short delay, a hyperlink "Download KML File Here" will appear. From this link, you can download your KML file
- Click [Create New Area] to start drawing anew area whilst keeping any existing areas on-screen
- You can adjust the map size by clicking Small, Medium, Large or Full Screen
Login to Save and Load Maps
You can create an account for free from which you can save and load saved areas unique to you. Click [Create Free Account] to create a new, free account. Once you confirm your email, you will be able to save and load maps while logged in.
Further Uses and Ideas
- Enable clicking inside the area
- Allow markers to be toggled on and off
- Allow upload a KML file and calculate any areas of polygons inside
- Version 1 (14/11/2007)
- Version 2 (25/03/2008) - Draggable markers added
- Version 2.1 (16/10/2008) - Added Terrain map type
- Version 2.2 (14/12/2009) - Added quick find search tool
- Version 2.3 (21/03/2009) - Added acres output
- Version 2.4 (04/11/2009) - Increased maximum size for the Quick Find option
- Version 2.5 (28/01/2010) - Added square nautical miles output. Rounded off all output to 2 decimal places
- Version 2.6 (22/02/2010) - Added square feet output.
- Version 2.7 (12/10/2010) - New option to input points manually by lat/lng pairs.
- Version 3 (01/12/2010) - Implemented Google Maps API V3
- Version 3.1 (19/12/2010) - Added option to export to KML (Google Earth)
- Version 3.2 (17/02/2011) - Added option to draw more than one area in the same session
- Version 3.3 (07/06/2011) - Fixed Issue with last polyline not showing on KML output
- Version 4 (08/09/2011) - Ability to save areas under user login
- Version 4.1 (14/12/2011) - Added hectares output
- Version 4.2 (22/12/2011) - Added full screen option
- Version 4.3 (05/02/2012) - Improved Search Facility
- Version 5 (12/11/2012) - Added perimeter output
- Version 6 (05/01/2013)
- Default map is now larger
- Download KML File Here link has been moved
- Added Zoom to Fit button
- Fixed bug with perimeter calculation
- Version 6.1 (29/06/2014) - Added option to change fill and line colours
- Version 6.2 (18/07/2014) - Added button [Toggle Markers]
- Version 6.3 (05/11/2014) - Search Function now works when you hit enter
- Version 6.4 (23/03/2015) - New button [Estimate Address] to estimate the address of the map centre point
- Version 6.5 (15/04/2015) - New transparent fill area option
- Version 6.6 (11/05/2015) - Location of marker now displayed when you hover over the marker
Previous Comments For This Page
By KOALAN on 10/10/2015
G'day Daft Logic, is it possible to import a kml file (or coordinates) into the package?
By prinsloa on 08/10/2015
Julian, the area should be displayed below the map.
By Daft Logic on 07/10/2015
I have selected an area, but cannot see where the are is displayed, any advice please.
By Julian on 06/10/2015
a great experience, truly informative
Pretty nice, has a ton of potential
excelente no tenia idea de cuanto media mi terreno ya tengo una idea muy buena herramienta
By jose frias Panama on 02/10/2015
Hi Troy, do you see any error messages?
By Daft Logic on 02/10/2015
Create Site. Unable to export KML file from polygon created. Using Chrome Version 45.0.2454.101 m
By Troy T. on 01/10/2015
lot size for 6 & 8 Marietta Ct. Edgewood, NM 87015
By Carol Gajewski on 26/09/2015
this is 30 acres
Google Distance/Area Calculator is very useful to Measure length/Area of Fields without visiting actual site and it can be useful to check the measurements of the sites/fields
By P. JANARDHANAM, TEACHER on 24/09/2015
It's an excelent tool
This is the area I was talking about.
By tom poole on 23/09/2015
Programa muito útil
ok, muito útil
Steve, is it still not working?
By Daft Logic on 22/09/2015
polígono peña azul
By polin on 21/09/2015
wheat pasture 80 Acers
By Charles Kretzschmar on 19/09/2015
Hi Andrea, unfortunately as far as I know this is not possible.
By Daft Logic on 16/09/2015
What a great thing, is there an algorithm that knows the height of a building in addition to its footprint? Great job, thank you Andrea
By Andrea on 15/09/2015
west wheat fireld
By s on 14/09/2015
By narendra on 14/09/2015
MILIT Area Sanctioned wef 01 Apr 2015
By MILIT Sanctioned Area on 14/09/2015
can't get the map to come up? Entered Lamar, AR 72846. Clicked on Search, nothing happens?
By Steve on 13/09/2015
50 has. limpieza campo 2015
By Alan on 11/09/2015
Hi blenderbender, are you using the text box found below the map?
By Daft Logic on 10/09/2015
Hi Tanya, what address are you typing in? Do other addresses work?
By Daft Logic on 10/09/2015
30 out of 1275 comments shown. See all comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: