Google Maps Area Calculator Tool
Search For Location :
Add a location manually (also accepts [latitude,longitude])
Output : Current Area
This tool allows you to use Google Maps to define an area and then find out the measurement of the enclosed area. You are also able to save your areas for use later on. Click on the map to start drawing an area.
How to Use
- Click multiple times around the map to define an area
- The calculated area will then be displayed below the map
- Click [Delete Last Point] to remove the last point clicked
- Click [Clear All Points] to remove all areas drawn
- Click [Generate KML] to generate a KML file representing the last area drawn. Once you click this option, after a short delay, a hyperlink "Download KML File Here" will appear. From this link, you can download your KML file
- Click [Create New Area] to start drawing anew area whilst keeping any existing areas on-screen
- You can adjust the map size by clicking Small, Medium, Large or Full Screen
Login to Save and Load Maps
You can create an account for free from which you can save and load saved areas unquiet to you. Click [Create Free Account] to create a new, free account. Once you confirm your email, you will be able to save and load maps while logged in.
Further Uses and Ideas
- Enable clicking inside the area
- Allow markers to be toggled on and off
- Allow upload a KML file and calculate any areas of polygons inside
- Version 1 (14/11/2007)
- Version 2 (25/03/2008) - Draggable markers added
- Version 2.1 (16/10/2008) - Added Terrain map type
- Version 2.2 (14/12/2009) - Added quick find search tool
- Version 2.3 (21/03/2009) - Added acres output
- Version 2.4 (04/11/2009) - Increased maximum size for the Quick Find option
- Version 2.5 (28/01/2010) - Added square nautical miles output. Rounded off all output to 2 decimal places.
- Version 2.6 (22/02/2010) - Added square feet output.
- Version 2.7 (12/10/2010) - New option to input points manually by lat/lng pairs.
- Version 3 (01/12/2010) - Implemented Google Maps API V3
- Version 3.1 (19/12/2010) - Added option to export to KML (Google Earth)
- Version 3.2 (17/02/2011) - Added option to draw more than one area in the same session
- Version 3.3 (07/06/2011) - Fixed Issue with last polyline not showing on KML output
- Version 4 (08/09/2011) - Ability to save areas under user login
- Version 4.1 (14/12/2011) - Added hectares output
- Version 4.2 (22/12/2011) - Added full screen option
- Version 4.3 (05/02/2012) - Improved Search Facility
- Version 5 (12/11/2012) - Added perimeter output
- Version 6 (05/01/2013)
- Default map is now larger
- Download KML File Here link has been moved
- Added Zoom to Fit button
- Fixed bug with perimeter calculation
Previous Comments For This Page
How to get screen larger -
My Vegetable Farm
By Rusagu Vegetables Garden on 21/05/2013
Firoze, I believe that the perimeter can appear to be double its value whenever there are only two points on the map. Once you add more than two points, the perimeter will be correct. The reason the value appears to be doubled is that a perimeter with two points has the outward and return distance.
By Daft Logic on 18/05/2013
Hi. I would like to point out a bug. The Perimeter calculation tool gives the values exactly doubled. I was able to figure this out when I cross-checked the values presented here with those shown in Google Earth. The area figures came out just perfect, the only problem remained with the perimeter. I guess there must be some small problem in the code that you wrote. Kindly do go through it whenever you get the time. This is an awesome website you've created, my respect to you for that, Sir. :) Best regards!
By Firoze on 17/05/2013
I'm sick and tired of programmers that offer 1 thing and deliver nothing. Is there programmer that is worth anything more than games?
By greg on 16/05/2013
Wow! I so love this site! Thank you.
Once you have saved several areas is it possible to display two or more at once? Whenever I try this it wants to draw points between saved areas. BYW, this is a tremendous help.
Chris, it only exports the last area drawn so this is expected.
By Daft Logic on 08/04/2013
Fantastic stuff. Using this for work, can't thank you folks enough. Trying to get KML files to work properly with Google Earth - only the current area appears in the KML file even though previous area still shows online at daftlogic. Any ideas?
By Chris on 07/04/2013
how do I get the output for the current area?
Great tool/software if you want to establish how much land your house sits on.
By Trebor47 on 03/04/2013
Larger screen and a app for I pad I phone would be great
By Bob on 02/04/2013
How to Use: How do I upload a .kmz file and calculate any areas of polygons inside. Thanks for your help
By Chris on 27/03/2013
bubba, Screen shot, copy/paste into microsoft paint, print
By D on 26/03/2013
Is there a way to print the map and output page without getting the other 4 pages of history and comments?
By Bubba on 24/03/2013
not accurate (90% okay)..But very useful.. Thanks for developing...
Awesome App. I am using to it plan a small village near Ahmednagar.
By Nishant on 17/03/2013
The calculations are wrong. I have looked at several areas which I know the sqr ft area and it is incorrect by 20-000 sqr feet on both. If you would like me to point out the areas of land which I own please contact me.
Amazing app. Makes life so much easier, use for ag measurements , need ipad app
By Lometa on 14/03/2013
Love your tool. I've used it for figuring out how to plant X Acres of seed on odd-ball plots of land that aren't nice squares. A suggestion:...I have my dad use the GPS to get me some points (usually four corners or whatever), I then Input them. Sometimes my dad doesn't taken into account certain things (like a turning buffer for the tractor on the ends) when he takes measurements. So I end up having to change the dimensions and move the points on the map to account for that. And since it's 12ft, it's -really- small, so I tend to like to use the native Google Maps website to do it, since measuring distance by drawing a line is easier on that site than it is yours, as you can drag the point out until you see the right distance and drop it. SO, what I'd like to do is... Export the KML to Google Maps if need be, then Export from Google Maps back to here, so after making my point adjustments, I can just adjust the shape until I hit x acres again. Could that feature be added? Thanks!
By BeAuMaN on 11/03/2013
AWSOME FREE APP!!
By numb nuts on 06/03/2013
Muy bueno! Gracias!
How to Use: How upload a KML file and calculate any areas of polygons inside. Thanks for your help
Chicota Fire District
By kkeller on 21/02/2013
Very good, but not great. Anyone who has ever used Mike Brewer's version will agree with me that the ability to "add" intermediate points by drag-and-drop to refine the area will make this application a real winner.
By lanky77guy on 18/02/2013
Well done. You've made life much easier. Would help even more if you added lengths and total perimeter.
By Iain Hedley on 18/02/2013
By Eduardo on 17/02/2013
30 out of 598 comments shown. See all comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: