Google Maps Area Calculator Tool
Search For Location :
Add a location manually (also accepts [latitude,longitude])
Output : Current Area
This tool allows you to use Google Maps to define an area and then find out the measurement of the enclosed area. You are also able to save your areas for use later on. Click on the map to start drawing an area.
How to Use
- Click multiple times around the map to define an area
- The calculated area will then be displayed below the map
- Click [Delete Last Point] to remove the last point clicked
- Click [Clear All Points] to remove all areas drawn
- Click [Generate KML] to generate a KML file representing the last area drawn. Once you click this option, after a short delay, a hyperlink "Download KML File Here" will appear. From this link, you can download your KML file
- Click [Create New Area] to start drawing anew area whilst keeping any existing areas on-screen
- You can adjust the map size by clicking Small, Medium, Large or Full Screen
Login to Save and Load Maps
You can create an account for free from which you can save and load saved areas unique to you. Click [Create Free Account] to create a new, free account. Once you confirm your email, you will be able to save and load maps while logged in.
Further Uses and Ideas
- Enable clicking inside the area
- Allow markers to be toggled on and off
- Allow upload a KML file and calculate any areas of polygons inside
- Version 1 (14/11/2007)
- Version 2 (25/03/2008) - Draggable markers added
- Version 2.1 (16/10/2008) - Added Terrain map type
- Version 2.2 (14/12/2009) - Added quick find search tool
- Version 2.3 (21/03/2009) - Added acres output
- Version 2.4 (04/11/2009) - Increased maximum size for the Quick Find option
- Version 2.5 (28/01/2010) - Added square nautical miles output. Rounded off all output to 2 decimal places
- Version 2.6 (22/02/2010) - Added square feet output.
- Version 2.7 (12/10/2010) - New option to input points manually by lat/lng pairs.
- Version 3 (01/12/2010) - Implemented Google Maps API V3
- Version 3.1 (19/12/2010) - Added option to export to KML (Google Earth)
- Version 3.2 (17/02/2011) - Added option to draw more than one area in the same session
- Version 3.3 (07/06/2011) - Fixed Issue with last polyline not showing on KML output
- Version 4 (08/09/2011) - Ability to save areas under user login
- Version 4.1 (14/12/2011) - Added hectares output
- Version 4.2 (22/12/2011) - Added full screen option
- Version 4.3 (05/02/2012) - Improved Search Facility
- Version 5 (12/11/2012) - Added perimeter output
- Version 6 (05/01/2013)
- Default map is now larger
- Download KML File Here link has been moved
- Added Zoom to Fit button
- Fixed bug with perimeter calculation
- Version 6.1 (29/06/2014) - Added option to change fill and line colours
- Version 6.2 (18/07/2014) - Added button [Toggle Markers]
- Version 6.3 (05/11/2014) - Search Function now works when you hit enter
- Version 6.4 (23/03/2015) - New button [Estimate Address] to estimate the address of the map centre point
- Version 6.5 (15/04/2015) - New transparent fill area option
- Version 6.6 (11/05/2015) - Location of marker now displayed when you hover over the marker
Previous Comments For This Page
This is a fantastic resource. I really really appreciate it, so thank you!
merci beaucoup pour votre service et on vous souhaite plus de progrès abientot
By nourioussouk on 27/05/2015
Can this link calculates distace
Hi Tim, unfortunately this is not possible.
By Daft Logic on 25/05/2015
Is there a way to rotate the entire map?
By Tim on 25/05/2015
Hi htslnk, it isn't that smart. It will assume there is a flat surface.
By Daft Logic on 25/05/2015
Great tool! Does anyone know if this takes the changes in the altitude into account when calcualting the area,or makes the calculation as if it is a flat surface?
By htslnk on 25/05/2015
Very cool, thanks :)
By craig on 24/05/2015
What a great piece of kit, very useful and simple to use
By Paul Miller on 24/05/2015
Tanq it is vey useful
Hello there, could you please update google maps , as there are features not in the maps that i require to measure, many thanks
By Dave on 19/05/2015
Love this tool
By Sid on 19/05/2015
By rtyan on 18/05/2015
Hi rob, no, you don't have to pay. What happens if you reload the page again?
By Daft Logic on 18/05/2015
no puedo ver el mapa de machagai que me lo borraron??? hay que pagar??
By rob on 18/05/2015
By Gary L. Hahn on 15/05/2015
how to download kml file of earlier drawn area after i select "create new area"
Hi Manchixxx, was the roof at an angle? This top down view will not be the same as the area of a slanted roof.
By Free Map Tools on 11/05/2015
This not exactly, because I did a roof measure and compared with this map the measure was very different.
By Manchixxx on 11/05/2015
Hi, we have just made a small update that will display the location (lat/lng) when you hover over a marker.
By Daft Logic on 11/05/2015
Is it possible to get the coordinates of the points that make up the polygon?
great tool... can anybody tell what is the accuracy level of the area calculated by this tool
Hi vibaby, unfortunately this is not possible.
By Daft Logic on 10/05/2015
How can I go back to an earlier drawn area to see its area?
By vibaby on 10/05/2015
du moment que cet outil est disponible pour justifier les superficies il est nécéssaire de le prendre en charge comme point fort crédible pour résoudre les affaires contentieuses , merci .
By ossoukine on 09/05/2015
This is great tool and helped in rural area to calculate the raw area.
By PREM BISHNOI on 09/05/2015
This is a great tool. I use it several times a week. It would be great if I were able to zoom in one step closer. It seems as if this capability is available on G-Maps.
By Drew on 07/05/2015
30 out of 1164 comments shown. See all comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: