Google Maps Area Calculator Tool
Search For Location :
Add a location manually (also accepts [latitude,longitude])
Output : Current Area
This tool allows you to use Google Maps to define an area and then find out the measurement of the enclosed area. You are also able to save your areas for use later on. Click on the map to start drawing an area.
How to Use
- Click multiple times around the map to define an area
- The calculated area will then be displayed below the map
- Click [Delete Last Point] to remove the last point clicked
- Click [Clear All Points] to remove all areas drawn
- Click [Generate KML] to generate a KML file representing the last area drawn. Once you click this option, after a short delay, a hyperlink "Download KML File Here" will appear. From this link, you can download your KML file
- Click [Create New Area] to start drawing anew area whilst keeping any existing areas on-screen
- You can adjust the map size by clicking Small, Medium, Large or Full Screen
Login to Save and Load Maps
You can create an account for free from which you can save and load saved areas unquiet to you. Click [Create Free Account] to create a new, free account. Once you confirm your email, you will be able to save and load maps while logged in.
Further Uses and Ideas
- Enable clicking inside the area
- Allow markers to be toggled on and off
- Allow upload a KML file and calculate any areas of polygons inside
- Version 1 (14/11/2007)
- Version 2 (25/03/2008) - Draggable markers added
- Version 2.1 (16/10/2008) - Added Terrain map type
- Version 2.2 (14/12/2009) - Added quick find search tool
- Version 2.3 (21/03/2009) - Added acres output
- Version 2.4 (04/11/2009) - Increased maximum size for the Quick Find option
- Version 2.5 (28/01/2010) - Added square nautical miles output. Rounded off all output to 2 decimal places
- Version 2.6 (22/02/2010) - Added square feet output.
- Version 2.7 (12/10/2010) - New option to input points manually by lat/lng pairs.
- Version 3 (01/12/2010) - Implemented Google Maps API V3
- Version 3.1 (19/12/2010) - Added option to export to KML (Google Earth)
- Version 3.2 (17/02/2011) - Added option to draw more than one area in the same session
- Version 3.3 (07/06/2011) - Fixed Issue with last polyline not showing on KML output
- Version 4 (08/09/2011) - Ability to save areas under user login
- Version 4.1 (14/12/2011) - Added hectares output
- Version 4.2 (22/12/2011) - Added full screen option
- Version 4.3 (05/02/2012) - Improved Search Facility
- Version 5 (12/11/2012) - Added perimeter output
- Version 6 (05/01/2013)
- Default map is now larger
- Download KML File Here link has been moved
- Added Zoom to Fit button
- Fixed bug with perimeter calculation
- Version 6.1 (29/06/2014) - Added option to change fill and line colours
- Version 6.2 (18/07/2014) - Added button [Toggle Markers]
- Version 6.3 (05/11/2014) - Search Function now works when you hit enter
Previous Comments For This Page
By 16085 Highway 157, Benton, Lou on 21/11/2014
please tell me the gps point format for using area calculator. sample please thanks
By randy on 19/11/2014
Daftlogic, ex: 50°6'48.58",-111°58'18.93" If I use the search (above the map), it'll set it to the correct location. If I use "add manually" it's quite a ways off. I've crossed referenced with maps.google.com. The search function hits correctly. Manually adding points does not.
By Matt. on 19/11/2014
By Ricardo on 17/11/2014
how to get distance between two pointe of triangle ? i only get total perimeter
By steve on 16/11/2014
Hi Matt, can you give an example of coordinates that don't give the desired result?
By Daft Logic on 16/11/2014
There's an issue with adding points. Or at least, I'm having an issue. Search for location seems to be accurate, but when adding points manually (with coordinates) it's way off.
By Matt on 13/11/2014
Industry Material Yard Bowl
muito bom... valew
By Alex Ferreira on 13/11/2014
Area de soleras a reparar. CP LA CALETA III Mogro (Miengo) Área total aprox: 140 m2
By Rafael on 12/11/2014
Hi Alan, if you wish to measure distances, we recommend you use the Distance Calculator. This area calculator will only output the perimeter of the area being measured.
By Daft Logic on 09/11/2014
This is giving inaccurate results for me, twice those of Google's built in measuring tool. Google makes a car 3.5 metres long. This tool makes it 9. If this could be recalibrated it would be extremely useful
By Alan on 09/11/2014
Great tool thank you. Is it possible to see a scale on the plan created or measure the length of part of the perimeter (I can see the total perimeter, but would like to quantify sections of it please)
By Chas on 05/11/2014
map does not show up anymore!@
Hi, are you using this area measurement tool to measure distances? It does display the perimeter of the areas drawn and for a 2 sided area, it will be twice the distance between the points.
By Daft Logic on 04/11/2014
Measurments were way off for me- around 2 to 2-1/2 larger. I checked against a car ~14' long. Tool measured it as 42 feet long. Youngstown OH area.
Hi Bruce, it centers the map on the address and doesn't put any markers as they may get in the way of the area being drawn.
By Daft Logic on 03/11/2014
love dis map, love my spaghetti hair.
By Ethan Reynolds on 03/11/2014
I'm in love with this app <3 changed my life
By Dylan Freeman on 03/11/2014
seems like a terrific tool. question for the administrator: how do i know that i am looking at the address i entered, since there are no markings or arrows on the satellite image?
By bruce on 03/11/2014
nice bt i cant find way for manually and optinal ofset point
By mik on 31/10/2014
excellent work. Does anybody know the how true are these results ?
By Hc on 29/10/2014
SP land grab 1
By SP land grab 1 on 28/10/2014
My Farm in Abathaanapuram
By Prakash S S on 25/10/2014
30 out of 970 comments shown. See all comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: