Google Maps Area Calculator Tool
Search For Location :
Add a location manually (also accepts [latitude,longitude])
Output : Current Area
This tool allows you to use Google Maps to define an area and then find out the measurement of the enclosed area. You are also able to save your areas for use later on. Click on the map to start drawing an area.
How to Use
- Click multiple times around the map to define an area
- The calculated area will then be displayed below the map
- Click [Delete Last Point] to remove the last point clicked
- Click [Clear All Points] to remove all areas drawn
- Click [Generate KML] to generate a KML file representing the last area drawn. Once you click this option, after a short delay, a hyperlink "Download KML File Here" will appear. From this link, you can download your KML file
- Click [Create New Area] to start drawing anew area whilst keeping any existing areas on-screen
- You can adjust the map size by clicking Small, Medium, Large or Full Screen
Login to Save and Load Maps
You can create an account for free from which you can save and load saved areas unquiet to you. Click [Create Free Account] to create a new, free account. Once you confirm your email, you will be able to save and load maps while logged in.
Further Uses and Ideas
- Enable clicking inside the area
- Allow markers to be toggled on and off
- Allow upload a KML file and calculate any areas of polygons inside
- Version 1 (14/11/2007)
- Version 2 (25/03/2008) - Draggable markers added
- Version 2.1 (16/10/2008) - Added Terrain map type
- Version 2.2 (14/12/2009) - Added quick find search tool
- Version 2.3 (21/03/2009) - Added acres output
- Version 2.4 (04/11/2009) - Increased maximum size for the Quick Find option
- Version 2.5 (28/01/2010) - Added square nautical miles output. Rounded off all output to 2 decimal places
- Version 2.6 (22/02/2010) - Added square feet output.
- Version 2.7 (12/10/2010) - New option to input points manually by lat/lng pairs.
- Version 3 (01/12/2010) - Implemented Google Maps API V3
- Version 3.1 (19/12/2010) - Added option to export to KML (Google Earth)
- Version 3.2 (17/02/2011) - Added option to draw more than one area in the same session
- Version 3.3 (07/06/2011) - Fixed Issue with last polyline not showing on KML output
- Version 4 (08/09/2011) - Ability to save areas under user login
- Version 4.1 (14/12/2011) - Added hectares output
- Version 4.2 (22/12/2011) - Added full screen option
- Version 4.3 (05/02/2012) - Improved Search Facility
- Version 5 (12/11/2012) - Added perimeter output
- Version 6 (05/01/2013)
- Default map is now larger
- Download KML File Here link has been moved
- Added Zoom to Fit button
- Fixed bug with perimeter calculation
- Version 6.1 (29/06/2014) - Added option to change fill and line colours
- Version 6.2 (18/07/2014) - Added button [Toggle Markers]
Previous Comments For This Page
By ramjibhai chaudhari on 11/09/2014
The site measure approximately 3.20 acres. The farm stand is no longer selling fruits and vegetables, it is a country/retail store that is not supportive to an agricultural use.
By George F. Librizzi on 11/09/2014
By mory on 06/09/2014
You can measure area on google maps anyway, I don't really see the benefit since you can't export the map or add labels.
By Matt on 02/09/2014
Great for geocoding!
Great tool. It was really useful to me in my thesis work!
By Francisco on 27/08/2014
For those with the problem with it changing to an angle view on close-up - click the "Satellite" box in upper right corner. Unselect the "45%" box.
By Wally Ballou on 27/08/2014
piris do rio go
Useless when you zoom in all the way and the view tilts
By Koyyuru on 17/08/2014
How Accurate are the land lines with deeds
Great tool for measurements!
By Colliers Researcher on 12/08/2014
This is a very handy tool.
By Dan B on 12/08/2014
wow, this is great!
By JMA on 12/08/2014
I have checked the measurements of a site with the actual physical measurements and they are nearly perfect. Congratulations.
Darn, thanks for answering.
By Dan on 10/08/2014
Hello Sir AOA.rely i found this tool very helpful to measure a disputed land among 3 villages. i felt difficult to save and copy this area.Could u help me for this plz
By ismail on 10/08/2014
Absolutley FANTASTIC! Thank you so much for the service! will spread the word.
What is the diference between current area and current perimeter?
By Juan Ka on 08/08/2014
Dan, This is not possible.
By Free Map Tools on 07/08/2014
Can you copy-paste an area?
By Dan on 07/08/2014
How do you "save" a map ?
By John on 05/08/2014
Very useful tool. Easy too!
By Srihari on 01/08/2014
NICE TOOL!! VERY NICE TOOL!!! Would love an android app of this...
Hello! I am a solar Energy professional and I use your very helpful tool to quickly get the areas of roofs and land. I love this site! thank you!! Some cool feature you could add are... - The ability to choose the 'fill' texture or pattern of the Area. I would add the look of solar panels. - The Ability for your program calculations to say how many kW (KiloWatts) you can fit (eg Roof/ 100,000 SQ' = 1000kW or Ground 5 Acres = 1000kW) -The Ability to make the balloons, way points, disappear. I believe 2 of these feature would help the community promote solar energy and make it easier for everyone, the public, to size their own solar pv systems. please let me know if I can assist, brion[at]inmansolar[dot]com
By Brion on 30/07/2014
Enjoy using the tool. Easy to use. Thanks for providing the service.
By Gary Ellis, Harrisburg, Illino on 29/07/2014
Spot on. Thanks.
30 out of 916 comments shown. See all comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: