Google Maps Area Calculator Tool
Search For Location :
Add a location manually (also accepts [latitude,longitude])
Output : Current Area
This tool allows you to use Google Maps to define an area and then find out the measurement of the enclosed area. You are also able to save your areas for use later on. Click on the map to start drawing an area.
How to Use
- Click multiple times around the map to define an area
- The calculated area will then be displayed below the map
- Click [Delete Last Point] to remove the last point clicked
- Click [Clear All Points] to remove all areas drawn
- Click [Generate KML] to generate a KML file representing the last area drawn. Once you click this option, after a short delay, a hyperlink "Download KML File Here" will appear. From this link, you can download your KML file
- Click [Create New Area] to start drawing anew area whilst keeping any existing areas on-screen
- You can adjust the map size by clicking Small, Medium, Large or Full Screen
Login to Save and Load Maps
You can create an account for free from which you can save and load saved areas unquiet to you. Click [Create Free Account] to create a new, free account. Once you confirm your email, you will be able to save and load maps while logged in.
Further Uses and Ideas
- Enable clicking inside the area
- Allow markers to be toggled on and off
- Allow upload a KML file and calculate any areas of polygons inside
- Version 1 (14/11/2007)
- Version 2 (25/03/2008) - Draggable markers added
- Version 2.1 (16/10/2008) - Added Terrain map type
- Version 2.2 (14/12/2009) - Added quick find search tool
- Version 2.3 (21/03/2009) - Added acres output
- Version 2.4 (04/11/2009) - Increased maximum size for the Quick Find option
- Version 2.5 (28/01/2010) - Added square nautical miles output. Rounded off all output to 2 decimal places.
- Version 2.6 (22/02/2010) - Added square feet output.
- Version 2.7 (12/10/2010) - New option to input points manually by lat/lng pairs.
- Version 3 (01/12/2010) - Implemented Google Maps API V3
- Version 3.1 (19/12/2010) - Added option to export to KML (Google Earth)
- Version 3.2 (17/02/2011) - Added option to draw more than one area in the same session
- Version 3.3 (07/06/2011) - Fixed Issue with last polyline not showing on KML output
- Version 4 (08/09/2011) - Ability to save areas under user login
- Version 4.1 (14/12/2011) - Added hectares output
- Version 4.2 (22/12/2011) - Added full screen option
- Version 4.3 (05/02/2012) - Improved Search Facility
- Version 5 (12/11/2012) - Added perimeter output
- Version 6 (05/01/2013)
- Default map is now larger
- Download KML File Here link has been moved
- Added Zoom to Fit button
- Fixed bug with perimeter calculation
- Version 6.1 (29/06/2014) - Added option to change fill and line colours
Previous Comments For This Page
Hello! I am a solar Energy professional and I use your very helpful tool to quickly get the areas of roofs and land. I love this site! thank you!! Some cool feature you could add are... - The ability to choose the 'fill' texture or pattern of the Area. I would add the look of solar panels. - The Ability for your program calculations to say how many kW (KiloWatts) you can fit (eg Roof/ 100,000 SQ' = 1000kW or Ground 5 Acres = 1000kW) -The Ability to make the balloons, way points, disappear. I believe 2 of these feature would help the community promote solar energy and make it easier for everyone, the public, to size their own solar pv systems. please let me know if I can assist, brion[at]inmansolar[dot]com
By Brion on 30/07/2014
Enjoy using the tool. Easy to use. Thanks for providing the service.
By Gary Ellis, Harrisburg, Illino on 29/07/2014
Spot on. Thanks.
Even with fence line
By Brian Kindla on 27/07/2014
Excellent algorithm. Is the maths behind complex? Now I know what an acre looks like relative to how many properties you can build on it. About 13, 5 bed semis on 311sqm plots! An acre is much bigger than I thought.
By Pete on 23/07/2014
By zahidah on 22/07/2014
Its a very great toll for area calculatorr
It is good. but it would be better if a mobile app will develop.
By deepak on 18/07/2014
This large land area is owned by 3 Brothers. Whom I have met and who are all very keen to go forward with a solar farm. I've explained that we may only be able to use one 25 acre section of the land. Highgate Lane which runs along the South of the Land has a 33kV Substation which is only 500m from the bottom South West corner. You will also be able to make out the 11kV 3phase power lines going across the land.
By Glentham Lincs LN83LY on 18/07/2014
Looking to buy property? This app is perfect!!
By Michael in Michigan on 16/07/2014
By rod munch on 13/07/2014
From a ranching aspect this is a neat tool. I brought it up and figured how much hay we have cut and what is left. I'm by no means a tech wizzer and I got through it. Thanks you.
By Mike on 10/07/2014
Hi, Unfortunately you cannot import a KML.
By Daft Logic on 07/07/2014
Can I import a KML file to work with
By les on 06/07/2014
I see. Thanks for explanation!
By Tautvydas on 06/07/2014
Tautvydas this is an area calculator not a distance calculator. What are are reading is the perimeter, which for a 2 sided area is twice the distance between the 2 points.
By Daft Logic on 04/07/2014
The distance in this map and google map is two times bigger. This tool is very inaccurate. For example, Budapest, Andrassy street. Here the tool says it is 4659 meters. Google maps, though, tells me it is just 2300 m.
By Tautvydas on 04/07/2014
Excellent tool! Thanks and congratulations Daft Logic. Although it would be cumbersome for irregular shapes with multiple points, I think that an added option to get the length of each side of the polygon would be a nice plus. Also for multiple areas, it'd be great to see all areas details, not just the last one and the total.
By Jose G on 01/07/2014
By chattwolf on 30/06/2014
chattwolf, this functionality has now been added.
By Daft Logic on 29/06/2014
Fantastic tool,is there any way of changing the colour shade from green to another?.
By chattwolf on 28/06/2014
Awesome program. My husband does custom field work for local farmers and it's nice to be able to get an accurate measurement and not just rely on the farmers memory.
By PJ Neumann on 28/06/2014
Hi, is this Google updated one? because can't see any update things in my location . thanks
By Daminda - NZ on 28/06/2014
Great tool. Is there a way that the satellite map can show section lines, or show latitude and longitude for a specific point.
By Dave on 25/06/2014
Hi, if you switch to full screen, the print out should be better.
By Daft Logic on 24/06/2014
30 out of 889 comments shown. See all comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: