Google Maps Area Calculator Tool
Search For Location :
Add a location manually (also accepts [latitude,longitude])
Output : Current Area
This tool allows you to use Google Maps to define an area and then find out the measurement of the enclosed area. You are also able to save your areas for use later on. Click on the map to start drawing an area.
How to Use
- Click multiple times around the map to define an area
- The calculated area will then be displayed below the map
- Click [Delete Last Point] to remove the last point clicked
- Click [Clear All Points] to remove all areas drawn
- Click [Generate KML] to generate a KML file representing the last area drawn. Once you click this option, after a short delay, a hyperlink "Download KML File Here" will appear. From this link, you can download your KML file
- Click [Create New Area] to start drawing anew area whilst keeping any existing areas on-screen
- You can adjust the map size by clicking Small, Medium, Large or Full Screen
Login to Save and Load Maps
You can create an account for free from which you can save and load saved areas unique to you. Click [Create Free Account] to create a new, free account. Once you confirm your email, you will be able to save and load maps while logged in.
Further Uses and Ideas
- Enable clicking inside the area
- Allow markers to be toggled on and off
- Allow upload a KML file and calculate any areas of polygons inside
- Version 1 (14/11/2007)
- Version 2 (25/03/2008) - Draggable markers added
- Version 2.1 (16/10/2008) - Added Terrain map type
- Version 2.2 (14/12/2009) - Added quick find search tool
- Version 2.3 (21/03/2009) - Added acres output
- Version 2.4 (04/11/2009) - Increased maximum size for the Quick Find option
- Version 2.5 (28/01/2010) - Added square nautical miles output. Rounded off all output to 2 decimal places
- Version 2.6 (22/02/2010) - Added square feet output.
- Version 2.7 (12/10/2010) - New option to input points manually by lat/lng pairs.
- Version 3 (01/12/2010) - Implemented Google Maps API V3
- Version 3.1 (19/12/2010) - Added option to export to KML (Google Earth)
- Version 3.2 (17/02/2011) - Added option to draw more than one area in the same session
- Version 3.3 (07/06/2011) - Fixed Issue with last polyline not showing on KML output
- Version 4 (08/09/2011) - Ability to save areas under user login
- Version 4.1 (14/12/2011) - Added hectares output
- Version 4.2 (22/12/2011) - Added full screen option
- Version 4.3 (05/02/2012) - Improved Search Facility
- Version 5 (12/11/2012) - Added perimeter output
- Version 6 (05/01/2013)
- Default map is now larger
- Download KML File Here link has been moved
- Added Zoom to Fit button
- Fixed bug with perimeter calculation
- Version 6.1 (29/06/2014) - Added option to change fill and line colours
- Version 6.2 (18/07/2014) - Added button [Toggle Markers]
- Version 6.3 (05/11/2014) - Search Function now works when you hit enter
- Version 6.4 (23/03/2015) - New button [Estimate Address] to estimate the address of the map centre point
- Version 6.5 (15/04/2015) - New transparent fill area option
Previous Comments For This Page
By Rosewood South on 16/04/2015
Hi Thomas, thanks for the comments. For #1, we will consider this.For #2, this can be switched off if you click on Satellite at the top right of the map then untick where it says 45 [degrees]
By Daft Logic on 16/04/2015
Hello, Great tool! This is the best Google area calculator tool currently available. Two suggestions: Can you add a marker showing the location of the property after I enter the address in the search bar and the property has been located? Not knowing this makes it very difficult for me to find a property especially if I am not familiar with the city. Also, is there any way for you to make this work with the latest google maps? This is because when I zoom in to take an area measurement, it actually goes into a axiometric aerial bird eye view, which makes it harder to to measure roof tops. Thanks!
By Thomas Lee on 16/04/2015
Hi John, are you using this tool to measure areas or distances? There have been no updates to the method of measuring areas or perimeter of the area in the last year.
By Daft Logic on 15/04/2015
I have been using your tool for year however with the update the tool is way off. Something that 50 feet is now showing 95 feet. Please fix asap
By John on 15/04/2015
Would be nice if you could input a roof pitch
By Matt on 15/04/2015
Hi TLC/Jimmy B, yes, it doesn't drop a pin. It isn't designed. No big reason, but it could be argued it could get mixed up with the pins that define the area boundary.
By Daft Logic on 15/04/2015
I'm still wondering why it won't drop a pin to indicate the exact address location.
By TLC/Jimmy B on 15/04/2015
By C.W. on 14/04/2015
I really appreciate this tool...thank you
Jim S, the Distance Calculator can be used to measure this.
By Daft Logic on 11/04/2015
Please show the distance - in the measurement I select - between the points as i plot them. Prefer you show the distance on the map between the points but ok if you show below the map as distance between point 1 and 2 is 180ft. Between point 2 and 3 is 84 ft. Etc.
By Jim S on 11/04/2015
have android app ?
By Meysam on 06/04/2015
The 2015 Google imagery was showing up but now the imagery looks to have reverted to an earlier date in some areas.
By Shane on 01/04/2015
this is got to be the most handy tool ive seen if you farm. easy to know area for spray or seeding. the other is for fencing knowing how much fence it will take to do a field. great tool !!!
By troy lynch on 01/04/2015
5 acres of land to be added to Barn and Barnyard land.
By Old Cox Farm on 28/03/2015
On 24/03/2015, the best option is to switch to full screen then take a screenshot.
By Daft Logic on 26/03/2015
Thank you very much for putting this out. Super user friendly and an awesome resource!
By Tyler on 26/03/2015
Very nice, useful tool. Would love to be able to export area info to Office or Google docs. Am I missing that?
Not working in windows 7phones
By ramesh on 23/03/2015
I was looking for this kind of tool for a long time. It is excellent, and if the marking on the map is done correctly, the area calculated is very accurate. I am very happy and thanks to Google.
By Amiri Kivambe on 23/03/2015
TLC/JimmyB here - Why will it not drop a pin on the actual address, like Google Maps does?
Would be amazing for work if it displayed addresses somehow.
By salar on 22/03/2015
This is really nice; except it does not allow one to save the photo for further use in "My Pictures." I cannot just select the photo of the map without having to go into the Google Area Map site, and I cannot upload it in other applications.
By David on 21/03/2015
JimmyB, yes, it will only zoom in as far as street level.
By Daft Logic on 21/03/2015
TLC, these address are found OK as far as I can see. So when you click Search nothing happens?
By Daft Logic on 21/03/2015
try any of these: 345 Berkshire Dr Covington, GA; 2011 Old Salem Rd Conyers, GA; 1037 Meadow Springs Dr Conyers, GA
By TLC on 19/03/2015
This is great but I have one problem. It does not drop a pin on the exact property location. It show the street/area but if I don't know the specific house, I don't know which property to measure. Am I doing something wrong?
By JimmyB on 19/03/2015
30 out of 1115 comments shown. See all comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: