Google Maps Area Calculator Tool
Search For Location :
Add a location manually (also accepts [latitude,longitude])
Output : Current Area
This tool allows you to use Google Maps to define an area and then find out the measurement of the enclosed area. You are also able to save your areas for use later on. Click on the map to start drawing an area.
How to Use
- Click multiple times around the map to define an area
- The calculated area will then be displayed below the map
- Click [Delete Last Point] to remove the last point clicked
- Click [Clear All Points] to remove all areas drawn
- Click [Generate KML] to generate a KML file representing the last area drawn. Once you click this option, after a short delay, a hyperlink "Download KML File Here" will appear. From this link, you can download your KML file
- Click [Create New Area] to start drawing anew area whilst keeping any existing areas on-screen
- You can adjust the map size by clicking Small, Medium, Large or Full Screen
Login to Save and Load Maps
You can create an account for free from which you can save and load saved areas unquiet to you. Click [Create Free Account] to create a new, free account. Once you confirm your email, you will be able to save and load maps while logged in.
Further Uses and Ideas
- Enable clicking inside the area
- Allow markers to be toggled on and off
- Allow upload a KML file and calculate any areas of polygons inside
- Version 1 (14/11/2007)
- Version 2 (25/03/2008) - Draggable markers added
- Version 2.1 (16/10/2008) - Added Terrain map type
- Version 2.2 (14/12/2009) - Added quick find search tool
- Version 2.3 (21/03/2009) - Added acres output
- Version 2.4 (04/11/2009) - Increased maximum size for the Quick Find option
- Version 2.5 (28/01/2010) - Added square nautical miles output. Rounded off all output to 2 decimal places.
- Version 2.6 (22/02/2010) - Added square feet output.
- Version 2.7 (12/10/2010) - New option to input points manually by lat/lng pairs.
- Version 3 (01/12/2010) - Implemented Google Maps API V3
- Version 3.1 (19/12/2010) - Added option to export to KML (Google Earth)
- Version 3.2 (17/02/2011) - Added option to draw more than one area in the same session
- Version 3.3 (07/06/2011) - Fixed Issue with last polyline not showing on KML output
- Version 4 (08/09/2011) - Ability to save areas under user login
- Version 4.1 (14/12/2011) - Added hectares output
- Version 4.2 (22/12/2011) - Added full screen option
- Version 4.3 (05/02/2012) - Improved Search Facility
- Version 5 (12/11/2012) - Added perimeter output
- Version 6 (05/01/2013)
- Default map is now larger
- Download KML File Here link has been moved
- Added Zoom to Fit button
- Fixed bug with perimeter calculation
Previous Comments For This Page
How can I correctly reference this for a paper?
By Osprey on 08/03/2014
Its very very accurate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Nice
I just used this tool on my farms perimeter. It estimated 6.25 acres (for a 6 acre farm). I'd say given my perimeter was approximate it was surprisingly accurate.
Hi, Can you confirm you are using this to measure areas or perimeters? Is there any chance you are using it to measure lengths? The perimeter of a 2 sided area will have a perimeter of twice the length.
By Daft Logic on 03/03/2014
It's a great tool that isn't very accurate. Tried using this for a building project and it measured 4x larger than the actual size. Then I scaled it on a parking spot in the lot, said it was 20ft wide. Be careful when using - may want to scale on something you know first.
Anton, unfortunately you cannot add a new point in the middle of the perimeter, only at the the start/end point
By Daft Logic on 03/03/2014
Hi, the area calculator is not used for measuring distance between points. It does have a perimeter output which is twice the distance between 2 points when there are 2 points
By Daft Logic on 02/03/2014
When i do a strait line the measurement it comes up with is wrong?? Possibly doubled?
G'day! What a neat tool! Have created an account. have one question though; how can I add a point to the loop after I completed it?
By Anton on 01/03/2014
doesnt show my saved areas after login, when i click on them it all messes up! Cant load the total area.... nice trie but not done in my oppinion
By Arn on 27/02/2014
Hi Ryan, Unfortunately it is only designed for Google Maps.
By Daft Logic on 27/02/2014
can you do the same for bing maps? seems to cover some areas better.
By Ryan on 27/02/2014
By king on 26/02/2014
I draw 116 acres
By marcus on 26/02/2014
Hi, After doing some tests we found no issue. Perhaps it is a issue on your machine or web browser? Could you try deleting your temporary internet files and load the page again or try a different web browser and see if that helps?
By Daft Logic on 24/02/2014
Have used this app before and it works great. However today it doesn't work. There's a small message at the bottom of my browser saying error on page. Thought you should know
By Lba on 23/02/2014
When is the next update? It has been over a year since the last one. This program does me no good if the property I'm looking to measure does not exist on the map.
Hi john, You could try the full screen option followed by the
button on your keyboard in order to get an image.
By Daft Logic on 18/02/2014
Is there any way that you can print the maps?
By john on 17/02/2014
By fadhil dawood khalid on 11/02/2014
By luis on 07/02/2014
Is there any API for mobile platform. I want to use it on my mobile app. Is it possible ? Thanks
Hi, so we can help resolve this problem ... can you describe exactly what you are doing when you draw an area? how many times do you click on the map? is there a defined area displayed on the map? What is displayed under the heading [Output : Current Area]?
By Daft Logic on 04/02/2014
When I draw my polygon the area is not being calculated. I get zip. I am not a stupid person so what is wrong?
It's very Good ^_^
By FON on 03/02/2014
not showing map in my screen while opening daftlogic in my system since last 2-3 month
By nsn on 29/01/2014
ESTIMATE 01/28/14 FENCING 316 lf. locaded at 101 Hidden rock court cary nc 27513 316 lf x14= 4400dls
By CHAVEZ FENCING on 28/01/2014
30 out of 782 comments shown. See all comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: