Google Maps Area Calculator Tool
Search For Location :
Add a location manually (also accepts [latitude,longitude])
Output : Current Area
This tool allows you to use Google Maps to define an area and then find out the measurement of the enclosed area. You are also able to save your areas for use later on. Click on the map to start drawing an area.
How to Use
- Click multiple times around the map to define an area
- The calculated area will then be displayed below the map
- Click [Delete Last Point] to remove the last point clicked
- Click [Clear All Points] to remove all areas drawn
- Click [Generate KML] to generate a KML file representing the last area drawn. Once you click this option, after a short delay, a hyperlink "Download KML File Here" will appear. From this link, you can download your KML file
- Click [Create New Area] to start drawing anew area whilst keeping any existing areas on-screen
- You can adjust the map size by clicking Small, Medium, Large or Full Screen
Login to Save and Load Maps
You can create an account for free from which you can save and load saved areas unique to you. Click [Create Free Account] to create a new, free account. Once you confirm your email, you will be able to save and load maps while logged in.
Further Uses and Ideas
- Enable clicking inside the area
- Allow markers to be toggled on and off
- Allow upload a KML file and calculate any areas of polygons inside
- Version 1 (14/11/2007)
- Version 2 (25/03/2008) - Draggable markers added
- Version 2.1 (16/10/2008) - Added Terrain map type
- Version 2.2 (14/12/2009) - Added quick find search tool
- Version 2.3 (21/03/2009) - Added acres output
- Version 2.4 (04/11/2009) - Increased maximum size for the Quick Find option
- Version 2.5 (28/01/2010) - Added square nautical miles output. Rounded off all output to 2 decimal places
- Version 2.6 (22/02/2010) - Added square feet output.
- Version 2.7 (12/10/2010) - New option to input points manually by lat/lng pairs.
- Version 3 (01/12/2010) - Implemented Google Maps API V3
- Version 3.1 (19/12/2010) - Added option to export to KML (Google Earth)
- Version 3.2 (17/02/2011) - Added option to draw more than one area in the same session
- Version 3.3 (07/06/2011) - Fixed Issue with last polyline not showing on KML output
- Version 4 (08/09/2011) - Ability to save areas under user login
- Version 4.1 (14/12/2011) - Added hectares output
- Version 4.2 (22/12/2011) - Added full screen option
- Version 4.3 (05/02/2012) - Improved Search Facility
- Version 5 (12/11/2012) - Added perimeter output
- Version 6 (05/01/2013)
- Default map is now larger
- Download KML File Here link has been moved
- Added Zoom to Fit button
- Fixed bug with perimeter calculation
- Version 6.1 (29/06/2014) - Added option to change fill and line colours
- Version 6.2 (18/07/2014) - Added button [Toggle Markers]
- Version 6.3 (05/11/2014) - Search Function now works when you hit enter
- Version 6.4 (23/03/2015) - New button [Estimate Address] to estimate the address of the map centre point
Previous Comments For This Page
5 acres of land to be added to Barn and Barnyard land.
By Old Cox Farm on 28/03/2015
On 24/03/2015, the best option is to switch to full screen then take a screenshot.
By Daft Logic on 26/03/2015
Thank you very much for putting this out. Super user friendly and an awesome resource!
By Tyler on 26/03/2015
Very nice, useful tool. Would love to be able to export area info to Office or Google docs. Am I missing that?
Not working in windows 7phones
By ramesh on 23/03/2015
I was looking for this kind of tool for a long time. It is excellent, and if the marking on the map is done correctly, the area calculated is very accurate. I am very happy and thanks to Google.
By Amiri Kivambe on 23/03/2015
TLC/JimmyB here - Why will it not drop a pin on the actual address, like Google Maps does?
Would be amazing for work if it displayed addresses somehow.
By salar on 22/03/2015
This is really nice; except it does not allow one to save the photo for further use in "My Pictures." I cannot just select the photo of the map without having to go into the Google Area Map site, and I cannot upload it in other applications.
By David on 21/03/2015
JimmyB, yes, it will only zoom in as far as street level.
By Daft Logic on 21/03/2015
TLC, these address are found OK as far as I can see. So when you click Search nothing happens?
By Daft Logic on 21/03/2015
try any of these: 345 Berkshire Dr Covington, GA; 2011 Old Salem Rd Conyers, GA; 1037 Meadow Springs Dr Conyers, GA
By TLC on 19/03/2015
This is great but I have one problem. It does not drop a pin on the exact property location. It show the street/area but if I don't know the specific house, I don't know which property to measure. Am I doing something wrong?
By JimmyB on 19/03/2015
i do not get it-square miles
By kyra on 19/03/2015
Hi TLC, what address are use using?
By Daft Logic on 18/03/2015
The map does not display a pin for the exact address. I have to go to another program to get the exact location of the address, then look at this app. Am I doing something wrong?
By TLC on 18/03/2015
By joao on 16/03/2015
I think there's a mistake in calculation. The Earth is about 57 million or so square miles big. If I look up for points in the Pacific, I get a square mileage of over 31 million. On the map, it looks more like 1/8th or even less big, yet it's over half of the earth?
By Jay on 15/03/2015
Thank you. Looking at land and am able to see how big of a cleared area is on a property.
By Ken on 14/03/2015
Ranjira Primary/Secondary School
Proposed area for drive-in zoo
Hi goose, when there are 2 points the perimeter measurement reads twice the distance between them. If you are looking to measure distances, please use the Distance Calculator.
By Daft Logic on 07/03/2015
great for getting square footage and total perimeter. having trouble getting accurate distance from pt A to pt B..seems way off in distance when doing just 2 points? cannot use for diagramming due to this.
By goose on 06/03/2015
Great product no more walking with a wheel.
By no tired feet on 05/03/2015
any updates for this ?
Excelente programa. Parabens!
By Antonio Gonçalves on 04/03/2015
wonderful tool.had land wrangles but this tool solved them thanks
Thank you. Great for my farming activities.
By Frans on 02/03/2015
Great tool Gents. Thank you!
By Tim on 28/02/2015
30 out of 1099 comments shown. See all comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: