Google Maps Area Calculator Tool
Search For Location :
Add a location manually (also accepts [latitude,longitude])
Output : Current Area
This tool allows you to use Google Maps to define an area and then find out the measurement of the enclosed area. You are also able to save your areas for use later on. Click on the map to start drawing an area.
How to Use
- Click multiple times around the map to define an area
- The calculated area will then be displayed below the map
- Click [Delete Last Point] to remove the last point clicked
- Click [Clear All Points] to remove all areas drawn
- Click [Generate KML] to generate a KML file representing the last area drawn. Once you click this option, after a short delay, a hyperlink "Download KML File Here" will appear. From this link, you can download your KML file
- Click [Create New Area] to start drawing anew area whilst keeping any existing areas on-screen
- You can adjust the map size by clicking Small, Medium, Large or Full Screen
Login to Save and Load Maps
You can create an account for free from which you can save and load saved areas unique to you. Click [Create Free Account] to create a new, free account. Once you confirm your email, you will be able to save and load maps while logged in.
Further Uses and Ideas
- Enable clicking inside the area
- Allow markers to be toggled on and off
- Allow upload a KML file and calculate any areas of polygons inside
- Version 1 (14/11/2007)
- Version 2 (25/03/2008) - Draggable markers added
- Version 2.1 (16/10/2008) - Added Terrain map type
- Version 2.2 (14/12/2009) - Added quick find search tool
- Version 2.3 (21/03/2009) - Added acres output
- Version 2.4 (04/11/2009) - Increased maximum size for the Quick Find option
- Version 2.5 (28/01/2010) - Added square nautical miles output. Rounded off all output to 2 decimal places
- Version 2.6 (22/02/2010) - Added square feet output.
- Version 2.7 (12/10/2010) - New option to input points manually by lat/lng pairs.
- Version 3 (01/12/2010) - Implemented Google Maps API V3
- Version 3.1 (19/12/2010) - Added option to export to KML (Google Earth)
- Version 3.2 (17/02/2011) - Added option to draw more than one area in the same session
- Version 3.3 (07/06/2011) - Fixed Issue with last polyline not showing on KML output
- Version 4 (08/09/2011) - Ability to save areas under user login
- Version 4.1 (14/12/2011) - Added hectares output
- Version 4.2 (22/12/2011) - Added full screen option
- Version 4.3 (05/02/2012) - Improved Search Facility
- Version 5 (12/11/2012) - Added perimeter output
- Version 6 (05/01/2013)
- Default map is now larger
- Download KML File Here link has been moved
- Added Zoom to Fit button
- Fixed bug with perimeter calculation
- Version 6.1 (29/06/2014) - Added option to change fill and line colours
- Version 6.2 (18/07/2014) - Added button [Toggle Markers]
- Version 6.3 (05/11/2014) - Search Function now works when you hit enter
- Version 6.4 (23/03/2015) - New button [Estimate Address] to estimate the address of the map centre point
- Version 6.5 (15/04/2015) - New transparent fill area option
- Version 6.6 (11/05/2015) - Location of marker now displayed when you hover over the marker
Previous Comments For This Page
Fantastic for farmers to measure odd shaped paddocks (Australia) Love it!
By David on 07/07/2015
J.N. nothing has changed recently. Is it still not working? Could you try a different wen browser?
By Daft Logic on 06/07/2015
have used this site before and worked great. now I can't open a map. what's problem
By J.N. on 06/07/2015
No directions. Difficult to work with. If you have all day to figure it out and play with it. Easy to work with the map. Now if they can just make it easy to measure the area, they will be in great shape and very do-able.
Hi Rich, you could use the print screen option of the Windows snipping tool or equivalent.
By Daft Logic on 30/06/2015
Is there a way to print the image of the area I have created?
By Rich on 30/06/2015
Hi Chris, It assumes the view is top down when taking measurements, so it will not factor in the pitch of the roof.
By Daft Logic on 30/06/2015
This is really cool. I just want to confirm: does this tool take into account the pitch of a surface. I am trying to accurately determine the area of a pitched roof in NYC for a solar project. It appears that this will let me do that. Just wanted to make sure that the #s aren't based on a distorted image of the roof. sorry for the dumb question. ...
By Chris on 30/06/2015
Ultimate application... Really I love it.... It has bright future when used by farmers and administration...
By Mayur raje on 27/06/2015
Excellent website. Extremely easy to use and useful.
By A A Ayub on 26/06/2015
Thanks very much for this useful site . It has made life easy for property developers and owners .
By Arab Amir Ayub on 24/06/2015
Hi Sean, no it doesn't do this.
By Daft Logic on 23/06/2015
If you measure a sloping roof, does it take into account the length will be longer?
By Sean on 23/06/2015
Hi Jo. The map uses Mercator projection
By Daft Logic on 22/06/2015
Hi, what is the projection of the map? If I want to measure an area near south/north pole how accurate is the results?
By Jo on 22/06/2015
By Ahmad on 21/06/2015
Add option to create KML file from all of the created areas instead of the last area created.
Amezing work thanks
By senthil coimbatore on 16/06/2015
that is great
By omar on 10/06/2015
Calculation is incorrect: click on three points on the equator in Ecuador, Uganda and Indonesia, half the Earth is highlighted, but it says 0.00 kmē (or very low value)
By Roland on 09/06/2015
exalent use to land surveying .
By Prabhakar Reddy on 06/06/2015
This is great!!!!
By Yeah on 04/06/2015
I am in the prcess of building a website where farmers can zoom in to their fields and draw the boundary. Is there a way to use google map for this purpose? how would I receive the polygons if the farmer draw the boundary? Is there a way to get that info for each time a farmer draw a boundary? Thanks
By Boho77 on 04/06/2015
incredibly cool, I am looking for a house in my area and this is an incredible tool to look around and take measures. Thanks a lot!!!
By Mauro on 04/06/2015
Maurice, these should be listed below the map as it stands.
By Free Map Tools on 02/06/2015
Just found your tool and already love it! One suggestion: Can you add other measurement units? ie. Sq Feet, Acres, Hectares, etc?
By Maurice on 02/06/2015
Hi Ken, sometimes there are differences such as this. It is outside our control and depends on what service Google decides to offer.
By Daft Logic on 01/06/2015
Hi Why Doesn't it show property boundaries in rural areas, eg Cape Liptrape when Google Maps does, but shows them on this site with my other property? Very helpful tool none the less.
By Ken on 01/06/2015
Any chance for the source code?
By RealLogic on 31/05/2015
30 out of 1194 comments shown. See all comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: