Google Maps Area Calculator Tool
Search For Location :
Add a location manually (also accepts [latitude,longitude])
Output : Current Area
This tool allows you to use Google Maps to define an area and then find out the measurement of the enclosed area. You are also able to save your areas for use later on. Click on the map to start drawing an area.
How to Use
- Click multiple times around the map to define an area
- The calculated area will then be displayed below the map
- Click [Delete Last Point] to remove the last point clicked
- Click [Clear All Points] to remove all areas drawn
- Click [Generate KML] to generate a KML file representing the last area drawn. Once you click this option, after a short delay, a hyperlink "Download KML File Here" will appear. From this link, you can download your KML file
- Click [Create New Area] to start drawing anew area whilst keeping any existing areas on-screen
- You can adjust the map size by clicking Small, Medium, Large or Full Screen
Login to Save and Load Maps
You can create an account for free from which you can save and load saved areas unique to you. Click [Create Free Account] to create a new, free account. Once you confirm your email, you will be able to save and load maps while logged in.
Further Uses and Ideas
- Enable clicking inside the area
- Allow markers to be toggled on and off
- Allow upload a KML file and calculate any areas of polygons inside
- Version 1 (14/11/2007)
- Version 2 (25/03/2008) - Draggable markers added
- Version 2.1 (16/10/2008) - Added Terrain map type
- Version 2.2 (14/12/2009) - Added quick find search tool
- Version 2.3 (21/03/2009) - Added acres output
- Version 2.4 (04/11/2009) - Increased maximum size for the Quick Find option
- Version 2.5 (28/01/2010) - Added square nautical miles output. Rounded off all output to 2 decimal places
- Version 2.6 (22/02/2010) - Added square feet output.
- Version 2.7 (12/10/2010) - New option to input points manually by lat/lng pairs.
- Version 3 (01/12/2010) - Implemented Google Maps API V3
- Version 3.1 (19/12/2010) - Added option to export to KML (Google Earth)
- Version 3.2 (17/02/2011) - Added option to draw more than one area in the same session
- Version 3.3 (07/06/2011) - Fixed Issue with last polyline not showing on KML output
- Version 4 (08/09/2011) - Ability to save areas under user login
- Version 4.1 (14/12/2011) - Added hectares output
- Version 4.2 (22/12/2011) - Added full screen option
- Version 4.3 (05/02/2012) - Improved Search Facility
- Version 5 (12/11/2012) - Added perimeter output
- Version 6 (05/01/2013)
- Default map is now larger
- Download KML File Here link has been moved
- Added Zoom to Fit button
- Fixed bug with perimeter calculation
- Version 6.1 (29/06/2014) - Added option to change fill and line colours
- Version 6.2 (18/07/2014) - Added button [Toggle Markers]
- Version 6.3 (05/11/2014) - Search Function now works when you hit enter
- Version 6.4 (23/03/2015) - New button [Estimate Address] to estimate the address of the map centre point
- Version 6.5 (15/04/2015) - New transparent fill area option
- Version 6.6 (11/05/2015) - Location of marker now displayed when you hover over the marker
Previous Comments For This Page
Muy bueno, me sirve para tener una idea de lo que tengo
By ZARMANUEL on 29/08/2015
Old Lease area
Japanese Millet Units (Flown On)
Great tool, just what was needed. Many thanks daftlogic.com
District Business Centre
By District Business Centre on 17/08/2015
By thrikkodithanam section on 15/08/2015
is this open source?
By kb on 14/08/2015
Hi Ken, thanks for reporting. The emails should now be working again.
By Daft Logic on 12/08/2015
I love it, but send by email will not function. :(
By Ken on 12/08/2015
51.1735897456517,25.5774619010891,0 51.1735841598008,25.57741554965845,0 51.17401030996342,25.57584179976271,0 51.17574997162846,25.5763203315188,0 51.17553889677966,25.57676506085303,0 51.1755051710484,25.57685529606147,0 51.17500230203974,25.57788987113537,0 51.17496731589728,25.57794470095989,0 51.1735897456517,25.5774619010891,0 51.1735841598008,25.57741554965845,0
I can't believe people complain about the accuracy of this website. I measure buildings for real estate purposes, and I remember when there WAS NO WEB! This site is within 5% of actual size, based on my measuring here and then measuring the building on-site. If you want 100% accuracy go to the place you're measuring and measure it yourself!
By Quit Crying! on 11/08/2015
Hey Respected Madam/Sir, I'm Niket from India,and doing project on land area measurement using GPS,Can you please give me information about by which method is use for measuring land area using latitude and longitude,there is any formula for that ? Thank You.
By Niket on 11/08/2015
if it is only an estimate what is the use of using this tool ?
By Samir on 08/08/2015
bonjour mes dames messieurs et medemoiselles il faut tout simlement savoir manupuler et prendre en consideration le point sur laquelle vous allez cliquer
By hajjaji on 07/08/2015
Hi Samir, the results should only be regarded as an estimate.
By Daft Logic on 05/08/2015
How accurate are these results, If i do the land survey usinf traditional method and compare the results with your website, how much will be the delta ?
By Samir on 05/08/2015
Hi, yes you can send your work via email.
By Daft Logic on 04/08/2015
I have made an account with draftlogic however I can't download this software but I was wondering if I will still be able to send my saved work via email to myself
Fantastic! I've been looking fro something like this for a very long time. Much obliged.
By KM in YT on 03/08/2015
Hi Klaus, This happens for certain areas when you zoom in. To switch the 45degrees view off, please use the drop down map at the top right of the map and untick the 45 degrees option.
By Daft Logic on 31/07/2015
Somebody ruined this site. Now when you zoom in it goes into perspective mode and you canīt measure a thing! Please fix it!
By Klaus on 31/07/2015
Christina, Please see this
By Daft Logic on 30/07/2015
Hi there is no readout showing for the area below the map once i have marked the area.
By Christina on 30/07/2015
Hi Claudiu, thanks for the suggestion. We will look in to this.
By Daft Logic on 28/07/2015
Hi Crystal, the [Create New Area] button below the map should draw new areas. Are you using this? When you you say Save what do you mean? Thanks.
By Daft Logic on 28/07/2015
Can I save multiple areas? It appears to only save one area at a time. I'm trying to add up dozens of areas.
By Crystal on 28/07/2015
For the future, an interesting option should be able to select different versions of the maps. Ex. For a certain area there is a new map (2015), but very blurred, taken from high altitude. In Google Earth I found a version of the map from 2011 with many details for the same area.
By Claudiu on 28/07/2015
This is great! It helped me out so much thank you!
30 out of 1236 comments shown. See all comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: